El Paso needs your vote for the primary election

Candidates+display+signs+as+part+of+their+election+run.+
Eduardo Ibarra
Candidates display signs as part of their election run.

Campaign signs have popped up around El Paso neighborhoods indicating primary election season is here. Primary elections are popular for some El Pasoans. In the November 2020 federal election, 267,215 ballots were cast. Three years later, in the November uniform and special election, officials say there were only 44,610 ballots. In both elections, there were approximately the same number of registered voters. 

The drastic difference between the turnouts gives little opportunity for local candidates to shine. While citizens have the right to vote, elections administrators say they should use that right. El Paso County’s Election Administrator, Lisa Wise, stresses that local elections are just as important, because they affect people’s day-to-day lives. 

“One of the things I always try to emphasize is that if you have an issue with the decisions that the presidents making, you’re never going to get to talk to President Biden, that’s very rare that would ever happen,” Wise said. “But if you have a concern about your streets, you’re probably going to be able to talk directly to your city council representative.” 

On the ballot, El Paso voters will see a multitude of candidates. In the 2024 primary election, the city will vote for El Paso County District Attorney, El Paso County Sheriff, Texas HouseDistrict 77, El Paso County Attorney, Commissioners Court Precinct 1, County Commissioner, Precinct No. 3 and 65th District Court. 

“Everybody loves to talk about the presidential (elections), but we have elections every year in what I think are just as important if not more important,” Wise said. “School district raises, local city council, things like that where you really have a say in what decisions are made and so I like to encourage voting all the time.” 

Early voting began Feb. 20, and will continue until March 1. Ballots can be submitted in various voting locations around the city or by mail. 

If a citizen is interested in voting, but is unsure of how to, the El Paso County Elections Department provides a four-step process video tutorial on how to do so. Wise emphasizes that building a person’s voting confidence can create a bigger turnout on the ballots. 

“We’ve noticed that talking to younger voters, once they feel confident and they’ve done it once, it becomes a habit,” Wise said. “We try to make it as easy as possible, you can watch the video and think ‘Ok this looks easy,’. We want to make sure you have the ballot that you can pre-fil, so when you go in there, you are ready to go and know who you’re going to vote for, (because) these are lengthy ballots in the primary.” 

Learning more information about the candidates can help voters decide who they want to represent El Paso. 

More information about candidates, how to vote, voting locations and more can be found on the El Paso County Elections website. 

Sofia Sierra is a staff reporter and may be reached at[email protected]