Unpredictable as El Paso weather: The NFL Playoffs

Faith A. Torres
Filling his basket, Nicholas Sanchez preps for the big Super Bowl weekend with eagerness and excitement.  

Beginning in September of last year, the National Football League broadcasted the fierce competition between teams trying to lock in their position for Super Bowl LVIII. The 2024 NFL season has given 32 teams a chance to either shine or wither. With the season ending Jan. 8, several teams have been eliminated, leaving only the toughest teams for the playoffs.  

On Feb 11, the two teams who make it to the Super Bowl LVIII will play in Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas. 

However, no team has a fixed spot for being a Super Bowl LVIII contender. While many expected for the previous Super Bowl LVII teams the Philadelphia Eagles and Kansas City Chiefs, to remain as possible competitors, others dominated the season.  

The 2024 season ended with the Baltimore Ravens (American Football Conference) and San Fransico 49ers (National Football Conference) being top of their seed. The Ravens ended the season 13-4 and the 49ers ended with 12-5. Comparing the records of other teams who made it to the playoffs, many were close to snatching that spot too.  

On the weekend of Jan. 13, wildcard games will begin, as well as the anticipation for who will headline Super Bowl LVIII. Fans anticipate that the games will become more intense as these teams get closer to tasting championship fame.  

Marcus Johnson, who is studying human behavior and biomedical engineering at UTEP, is a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan. 

“I was about six years old (when I first started to like the Cowboys), my mom was always a Cowboys fan,” Johnson said. “I met a few players early on, (such as) Michael Irving at five years old, Jason Whiten, etc.” 

Johnson expresses that there were various occasions when his team shined, whether it was a player or game. For example, on week 18 of the season against the Washington Commanders. 

“Our last Sunday’s game against the (Commanders), we had to win. Dak (Prescot) threw a lot, our defense was running, everything was going to plan,” Johnson said. “We needed to win that to win the division, so it was a big game for us.”  

A win that was essential for the Cowboys, Week 18 allowed for them to claim first in NFC East.  

n in Johnson’s opinion, Brandon Aubrey has been an underrated player for the Cowboys. 

“Our kicker, Brandon Aubrey (has shined this season),” Johnson said. “He’s won a lot of games for us, he’s kicking 50, 60 (meters), he’s been like an automatic (scorer). Underestimated MVP for the Cowboys.” 

Achieving first in NFC West, Johnson was excited to see the Cowboys with a 12-5 record, applauding their performance this season. Regardless if the Cowboys make it to the Super Bowl LVIII, Johnson is still planning on viewing the Super Bowl LVIII. 

“I’m a Dallas Cowboys fan, but I’m a football fan first,” Johnson said. “We (family) always meet up, we treat it like Thanksgiving, there’s ham and a bunch of food laid out. (It’s) the Thanksgiving meal, but football.” 

Many exciting events surround the Super Bowl each year. Ranging from watching Usher perform at the halftime show, to commercials, or eating an exquisite meal filled with chili, pizza and chips, the Super Bowl is an event the entire family can enjoy. As Feb. 11 nears, the next several weeks will be filled with players breaking records trying to win it all. 

Sofia Sierra is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]