Are you ready for Spring Break?

• YESS (89%, 17 Votes)
  • No (11%, 2 Votes)

Total Voters: 19

In my Editor-in-Chief era

One year ago, I walked into the Student Media and Publications office for the first time as a staff reporter for The Prospector. I remember feeling nervous, overwhelmed and excited about what was to come in this new journalistic experience. Before then, I never had my work published and had no experience working in a newsroom or writing for a newspaper. However, today, I walk into the newsroom as a better journalist, writer, and individual and as the new Editor-in-Chief of The Prospector.   

In January 2023, I joined the award-winning newsroom as a staff reporter, and then swiftly moved up to the web and copy editor position. Throughout my time at The Prospector, I have written many stories, some of which I hold dear to my heart, including my memorable one-on-one interview with President Dr. Heather Wilson.   

Since high school, I have dreamt of being editor-in-chief for a newspaper and leading a newsroom, but I never thought it would happen so soon. So, when I found out I was the new editor-in-chief, I was ecstatic and grateful that my hard work and dedication to the publication had paid off.   

Despite writing for The Prospector, my experiences and the skills I learned at The Texas Standard, Borderzine, and our sister publication, Minero Magazine, have allowed me to grow as a journalist and learn the necessary skills and strengths to excel more in this position.   

My time here at The Prospector has been the best ride I have been on, and I am not ready to get off yet. I promise and hope to bring groundbreaking journalism stories that matter and engage with our community. I want to connect more with the student body, departments and organizations across campus.  

In my time in this position, I also want to build a stronger relationship with the El Paso community and spread our stories and voices across the region. Along with leading my staff, I aim to help them progress as journalists and leaders and inspire the next generation of writers who will come after me.   

I will strive to make sure our publication is the number one news source for UTEP students and the community. I encourage and invite everyone to send their ideas, opinions and suggestions our way and support the publications talented writers and photographers.   

With a long line of predecessors that come before me, I hope to make every single one of them proud and continue the publication’s legacy. As I embark on this new journey and my last semester in college, I could not be prouder of the person I have become.   

I can’t thank Director Veronica Gonzalez enough for the endless support and guidance you have given me over the past months. I hope to be a reliable and dependable ‘chief’ To our Assistant Director, Crystal Hinga, thank you for being the best mentor and shaping me into the journalist I am today. I truly appreciate everything you have done for me and the publication. I hope to make you and Veronica proud, and I promise to not write like a ‘reporter.’   

Erik Acosta is the Editor-in-Chief and may be reached at [email protected]