UTEP avoids loss of accreditation

UTEPs+accreditation+status+will+be+reviewed+and+revealed+in+December.+
Iziah Moreno
UTEP’s accreditation status will be reviewed and revealed in December.

As the summer months rolled by, UTEP dealt with more than just blazing heat, but a warning status at the risk of losing its accreditation. With the holiday season right around the corner, so is UTEP’s accreditation status, which will be reviewed in December by the school accrediting committee SACSCOC (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges). 

In The Prospector’s original report, the commission sent an action letter to the university June 29, mentioning UTEP did not show proper documentation that displays the university follows the committee accreditation standards.  

With a warning placed for six months, the institution had until Sept. 8 to send a report with additional documentation that addressed the committee’s concerns and response to their accreditation standards. With the end of the semester approaching, the deadline now passed, UTEP officials say they have no update about the university accreditation status that is up for review in the upcoming weeks.   

When the board of trustees from SACSCOC come together this December, they will have the following five options to decide: remove the warning, remove the warning but with a fifth-year follow-up, continue the institution warning but with an added report, accreditation remains the same, but university on probation and last revoke the university accreditation and membership from SACSCOC.   

Though confirmation on the updated accreditation won’t come until the upcoming weeks, many students and UTEP officials are hopeful that the warning status will resolve and be a thing of the past.   

The Prospector will update this story when more updates come in.   

Erik Acosta is the web and copy editor and may be reached at [email protected]