Victory far from home: UTEP takes win against SHU

The+UTEP+Miners+won+37-34+against+Sam+Houston+in+Huntsville%2C+Texas+Wednesday%2C+Oct.+25.+Photo+courtesy+of+UTEP+Athletics++
The UTEP Miners won 37-34 against Sam Houston in Huntsville, Texas Wednesday, Oct. 25. Photo courtesy of UTEP Athletics

Editor’s note: This sports brief was written prior to Saturday’s loss to Western Kentucky University. 

The UTEP football team (3-6, 2-3 C-USA) edged out the Sam Houston University Bearkats (SHU) (0-8, 0-5 C-USA) on the road Wednesday, Oct. 25. Facing each other for the first time in 20 years, UTEP fans rejoice as the Miners take the win from the reunion game. In Huntsville, Texas, the Miners had a score of 37-34, making it the third win of the season.  

SHU running back John Gentry scored in the first quarter with a 28-yard run touchdown.  

The second quarter allowed UTEP to score a touchdown, as running back Deion Hankins evened the score. 

Later in the quarter, Gentry scored a touchdown once again, from an 18-yard pass. Miners place kicker Buzz Flabiano scoring a field goal, closing the gap 14-10. SHU wide receiver Malik Phillips responded by scoring a third touchdown. To end the quarter, UTEP scored its second field goal, with a score of 21-13.  

In the third quarter, SHU continued to widen the gap, as the Bearkats scored two consecutive field goals. Yet, UTEP running back Mike Franklin scored the team’s second touchdown, breaking momentum. 

The fourth quarter gave UTEP the opportunity to tie the score with Kelly Akharaiyi touchdown. Following Akharaiyi’s score, UTEP surpassed SHU with a Kevin Hurley touchdown, making the score 34-27. SHU wide receiver Noah Smith attempted to catch up to UTEP by returning a touchdown.  

To end the night the Miners final field goal, was able to solidify a key win in continuing the search for another bowl game attendance.  

Overall, the Miners totaled 428 yards with 70 more yards than SHU. This win allowed for a redemption after a devastating loss to I-10 rival, New Mexico State University (NMSU). 

The Miners will hold its Homecoming game Nov. 4 against Western Kentucky University (4-4, 2-2 C-USA) at the Sun Bowl Stadium.  

Sofia Sierra is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]