Organization helps grow the new STEM thinkers of tomorrow, today

SHPE+and+MAES+come+together+for+their+first+meeting+of+the+year%2C+on+Sept.+7.+At+the+El+Paso+Natural+Gas+Conference+Center+%28EPNGCC%29.+
SHPE and MAES come together for their first meeting of the year, on Sept. 7. At the El Paso Natural Gas Conference Center (EPNGCC).

As students chanted “Go Miners,” a welcoming atmosphere filled the air as two non-profit organizations, The Society of Professional Hispanics Engineers (SHPE) and Latinos in Science and Engineering (MAES), came together for their first general meeting of the year.  

One of the most prominent organizations at UTEP with more than 550 members registered, this promising joint chapter has continued to rise over the years. Held at the El Paso Natural Gas Conference Center (EPNGCC) Vice President of External Affairs Jesus De Haro opened up about the opportunities he has gotten from the chapter.  

“I have gotten all the opportunities I can, since my first day here I said, “One day I want to be at Telsa” I got it last year,” Haro said. “I did a six-month internship with them and I have gotten the opportunities to work at other companies through networking, that’s the thing we want to do, to put UTEP on the map.”  

Guiding Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) students so they can grow their careers, the organization helps students review their resumes and mock interviews so they can be more confident when meeting employers. The organization even provides conference opportunities so students can meet companies and get internships.   

Building the people of tomorrow, the organization says their first meeting of the year was historic, with record-breaking attendees. As seats filled up, members of the organization couldn’t feel more proud and thankful.  

“I want to break in tears because we broke a record, I would say that we were more than 300 students, something never seen before in any organization here on campus and I’m really excited because I believe that all these people that came today are the people for tomorrow,” Haro said. “We are doing everything for our families, future and the university we are thankful for all of those opportunities.”   

An organization, which supports Hispanic students, President Bryan Rodriguez considers the organization an opportunity for students to connect and build a community among each other.   

“Once you graduate and go work in a different state, you won’t get to see any Hispanics so this a great opportunity for students to connect with all Hispanics here at UTEP,” Rogriguez said.  

From job opportunities to internships, being a part of SHPE/MAES was something Rogriguez dreamt of. He says it has given him many opportunities and has helped him become a better leader.

“It has helped me a lot with my presentation skills, getting to meet a lot of nice people and getting to help students,” Rodriguez said. “When I saw 300 students in the room I wanted to cry, it’s just amazing, I never seen this many students in a single place all together, just to be part of our familia, it’s just a different feeling.” 

Shouting “Familia” across the room, Rodriguez has been able to create a family in the organization and is now inspired to make it a welcoming and safe place for students at UTEP while helping them with career opportunities.   

“I just want to make this organization a comfortable place for any Hispanic people, here in the university,” Rodriguez said. “We just want to help as many students as we can, get them internships and opportunities and at the same time make them feel proud of the organization.”    

Those interested in joining the organization and being a part of their “Familia” can visit utepmaesshpe.org or MineTracker where they have all their future events posted. 

Erik Acosta is the web and copy editor and may be reached at [email protected]