Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

Football finds ‘Miner Magic’ in win over Incarnate Word Cardinals

Brandon Johnson
UTEP football players headed back to the sidelines mid celebration after scoring a touchdown.
Drum Major Ramsey Perez leading the band to lift the Sun Bowl Stadium Saturday night on “Miner Magic” (Daniela Gonzalez Bustamante)

“Miner Magic” ignited a throwback spirit throughout the Sun Bowl Stadium Saturday night. As the Miners looked to embody the unstoppable 1988 era for UTEP football, the team’s optimism allowed them to win the first home game of the season. To compliment the nostalgia, special ‘throwback’ jerseys were worn by the players during the game. 

“These new threads will bring you back to the glory days,” EPSN reporter Sam Acho said. “The Miners nostalgic uniforms are reminiscent of the iconic designs that defined football in that era.” 

Now standing 1-1, UTEP football was able to recover from its first loss against Jax State. The UTEP football team was able to starstruck fans in the Sun Bowl Stadium with its 28-14 win against the Incardinate Word Cardinals. 

First Quarter 

Incarnate Word wide receiver Brandon Porter managed to score the first touchdown in under four minutes of the game start. In response, UTEP running back Torrance Burgess Jr. scored a touchdown tying the game. The first quarter would end with a 7-7 score. 

Second Quarter 

Once again, Incarnate Word scores a touchdown from running back Tre Siggers in an attempt to regain the lead. Near the end of the first half, UTEP wide receiver Jostein Clarke tied the score once again as he scored a 13-yard touchdown from pass of quarterback Gavin Hardison.  

Third Quarter 

For no room to let Incarnate lead again, UTEP scored a touchdown in the third quarter. Wide receiver Tyrin Smith completed a 24-yard pass from Hardison. 

Fourth Quarter 

UTEP was able to stagnate Incarnate Word’s momentum, with running back Mike Franklin scoring a touchdown from a 3-yard run. The final score was 28-14.  

With determination to not disappoint the Sun City, the Miners had possession of the ball longer than the Cardinals. 30,738 people in attendance gave UTEP the energy required to finish the game strong.  

While the game began with a ‘back and forward’ attitude, UTEP was able to remain leading from the third quarter. The “blast to the past” allowed UTEP to find the “glory day” groove, allowing the team to shine. Running back Deion Hankins also found his grove as he accomplished a career-high of 174 yards this game.  

“I know how hard working each and every one of my teammates are,” Hankins said. “To see my younger brothers just putting on, scoring touchdowns, and playing confident it means a lot to me.”

As a team, the UTEP Miners achieved many record-breaking accomplishments Saturday night. In total, UTEP hit 423 yards, showing the strength of the Miners, especially the running backs. Touchdowns made by Clarke and Burgess Jr. were the first in their careers.  

Week one of college football was victorious for the UTEP Miners. Currently ranked ninth place in Conference USA, UTEP was able to redeem themselves from the week zero game. Jax State, the Miners’ previous competitor, is in first place in the division. 

The following two games, UTEP is hitting the road against the Northwestern Wildcats and then the Arizona Wildcats. The next home game will not be until Sept. 23 against the UNLV Rebels. 

Sofia Sierra is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]