Not a checkmark in sight

The+new+football+gloves+display+Paydirt+Pete.++++
The new football gloves display Paydirt Pete.

Optimal gear is required for an optimal game. An athlete’s gear is arguably one deciding factor on whether they will perform well in a game. The versatility of sportswear allows different sports to indulge in the products these brands have to offer.  

Since 2004, Nike has been the sole partner in UTEP uniforms, however that’s now changed. It initially started only for football gear, then partnership grew towards all sports and lasted for almost two decades. Now, UTEP has partnered with Game One in a five-year contract starting in 2023, that will transition the athletic equipment to Adidas. 

What would disrupt an almost two-decade relationship? Game One offered UTEP discounts and benefits for their athletes to use on apparel and equipment. If UTEP spends a certain amount of money with Game One, the company would provide additional gear and apparel without cost. Financially, there are more benefits to the switch. But what UTEP may have failed to consider is the performance level between the brands. 

Announced in the fall of 2022, the partnership between Game One and Adidas will first be seen during the 2023 volleyball and football seasons. UTEP Athletics unveiled the new uniforms on their social medias, to help create anticipation for this new partnership for the upcoming seasons. Though many seem to enjoy the new look of UTEP sports, do they outperform Nike in terms of usability? 

Previously, The Prospector mentioned the significance of the brand switch for UTEP. Nike and Adidas’s contribution to the sports community is undeniable. Many athletes throughout the decades have been seen wearing Nike during their games.  

Most notably, Michael Jordan signed with Nike in 1987, at the time, the collaboration was the biggest sneaker deal with a $2.5 million contract. Now, 38 years later, Michael Jordan and Nike are still prominent in both sports and pop cultures.  

Locally, the Nike checkmark can still be seen on the uniforms of the El Paso Chihuahuas. Nike and the MLB announced a 10-year contract in 2019. 

Adidas, on the other hand, is notably praised for its soccer cleats. One of the biggest names in soccer history, Lionel Messi, has a lifetime contract with Adidas. In 2017, Messi signed a contract with Adidas allowing him to be forever associated with the brand. Many other benefits came with the deal, such as Adidas allowing Messi to reside in Inter Miami when he retires. 

Both Nike and Adidas have had their influences in pop culture. These brands often collaborate with other companies or celebrities to contribute to street fashion. For example, the nu-rock band Korn and Adidas announced their long-awaited collaboration. Since the release of ‘A.D.I.D.A.S.’ by Korn in 1997, many anticipated for the Korn X Adidas line. Releasing in October, amidst the UTEP football season, many can question what the company prioritizes itself in.  

The competition between the brands is likely to continue until the end of sports. While ultimately, there is not going to be a winner between the two, many athletes favor one over the other. Whether the three stripes allow for better use on the soccer field, or the checkmark has better jerseys, athletes are entitled to wear what they feel comfortable playing in.  

While UTEP may have favored financial benefits, athletes may not feel comfortable with this change. The start of the volleyball and football season will mark the official public partnership between the two. Starting in the fall, many will be watching to see whether this switch was for the better.

Sofia Sierra is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]