A long way down: From President to facing criminal charges

Former+President+Donald+Trump+was+indicted+March+30+by+a+Manhattan+grand+jury+for+his+alleged+role+in+a+scandal+due+to+hush+money+payments+made+to+adult+film+actress+Stormy+Daniels.+Photo+courtesy+Wikipedia+Commons+
Former President Donald Trump was indicted March 30 by a Manhattan grand jury for his alleged role in a scandal due to hush money payments made to adult film actress Stormy Daniels. Photo courtesy Wikipedia Commons

From living in the White House and to having the highest authority in the United States, former President Donald Trump might never experience this luxurious live style again.   

His life has now been faced with backlash and legal battles as Trump has been dealing with four ongoing investigations these past couple of years. One of which led his indictment and arrest, making him the first former U.S. President to face criminal charges.  

People shouted over a crowded street while cameras and news reporters were out in the streets covering what many considered historic, as Trump arrived in Manhattan, surrendering himself to authorities, later placed under arrest. 

One of America’s most notable presidential prosecutors alleged Trump undermined his 2016 presidential election as he played a role through a hush-money scheme towards two women who claimed they had affairs with Trump. 

Denying these allegations, many watched Trump step into the courtroom as he heard the charges against him for the first time. In a courtroom filled with mixed emotions and tension, Trump pleaded not guilty to the 34 criminal charges and now has to fight the charges in court and to the eyes of the public. 

According to Fox News, Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, who prosecuted Trump defended his case and considers the case necessary for New York. 

“That is what this case is about, 34 false statements made to cover up other crimes, there are felony charges in New York no matter where you are,” Bragg said. “We cannot and will not normalize serious criminal conduct.” 

Those charges can be read in a 16-page indictment, in an article by CNBC, which provides the specificity of these payments and how it was a way to silence these women about the alleged affairs. 

All eyes were on Trump as a judge announced his criminal charges. Turmp pleaded not guilty and quickly flew back to Florida to his Mar-a-Lago resort, where he addressed his supporters.  

“I never thought anything like this could happen in America, the only crime I have committed is to fearlessly defend our nation from those who seek to destroy it,” Trump said. “This fake case was brought only to interfere with the upcoming 2024 election, and it should be dropped immediately.” 

People across the country questioned whether these charges were reasonable and necessary shortly after news of Trump’s arrest and indictment broke, even among Trump’s biggest critics. 

According to USA Today, Sen. Mitt Romney was one to quickly question if this case brought by Bragg was warrant enough and considered the case stretched out.  

“I believe Trump’s character and conduct make him unfit for office, even so I believe the New York prosecutor has stretched to reach felony criminal charges to fit a political agenda,” said Sen. Mitt Romney to USA Today. 

Screaming and protesting while wearing his trademark MAGA hat, fans of Trump assembled at a local park near the courthouse that Tuesday and protested the case as it has left many people questioning if this case is necessary or another attack against Trump and his beliefs. 

UTEP student Yahaira Nassri, considers the case to be up in the air for her, as she has some doubts about whether the media is telling the truth.  

“Based on opinion, if he did what the news say he did, then it is right for him to be arrested, but if he actually did not do it, then why is he being prosecuted? Is it because of social media and how it has impacted him?” Nassri said. “Because if you look back, everything we saw about Trump was bad, but we don’t know the actual facts so it’s a 50/50.”  

UTEP student, Daphney Menefe considers this case, only a time of matter and everything Trump has done was eventually going to come back and get him.  

“I heard both sides and I think it was about time that it happened because when Trump gone into presidency, he showed us a lot of our friends and family who were closeted about our opinions and when he came out, he showed everyone that it was ok to be against everyone else,” Menefe said. “It’s a good thing he got arrested because it can show no matter of social status, the law still applies to you.” 

Erik Acosta is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]