A city filled with unique and stylish souls

Frida+Acuna+likes+to+fuse+street+and+formal+style+while+Ren%C3%A9+Acosta+describes+his+style+as+70s+retro.++
Frida Acuna likes to fuse street and formal style while René Acosta describes his style as 70s retro.

From putting on a pair of bell bottoms to styling rustic overalls to rummaging through a closet to find a corset or a button-down shirt to layer with vintage jewelry and accessories; people have found a way to express themselves through fashion. Being universal and based on individualism, fashion gives everyone who has a unique style a way to express themselves differently, from street style, gothic and even 1970s inspired fashion, which for some is inspired by Chicano history and culture. Creating outfits with high platform boots and printed skirts covered with belts, chains, laces and bows covering her hair is one-way UTEP student Frida Acuna expresses herself through her fashion sense.

“I feel like growing up, I wasn’t able to express myself through my style and once I hit a certain age, I realized that I could express and liberate myself through the clothes that I wear,” Acuna said. “So, I feel like street style with formal style is a fusion of who I am.” 

Mixing a world of trendy tees, sneakers and fancy blazers with a coquette aesthetic of romantic blushed hair accessories filled with bright colors was something Acuna was aiming for in her style. But finding that specific style was not easy for Acuna, something many people can relate to.

“It was honestly hard on getting out of my shell because before, I would use basic and simple clothing items and it was a challenge being able to just not care about what other people thought about on what I dress,” Acuna said. “Now honestly, it’s very easy cause I just care about what I feel and look like and if I feel comfortable, I’m all for it.”

Whether a style is vintage or punk with leather and flashy hair, certain styles of fashion can sometimes help an individual become comfortable and authentic with themselves. It can also help people discover their feminine and masculine sides.

Incorporating bell bottoms and ‘70s retro clothing into their style, EPCC student René Acosta recalls his experience of finding his style a journey due to Hispanic culture. 

“Our culture is very (machista), it’s dangerous for a queer individual to be free in this society,” Acosta said. “I mean it’s a work in progress, but I know we will eventually get there in the future. It really was a journey because of culture and my parents, born in the early ‘70s so they still have that late mentality of being ‘Why is he wearing makeup’ or ‘Why is he expressing himself like that?’’’

A closet filled with colorful retro flares to warmed-toned patterns of paisley, his wardrobe gives energy of late 70s nostalgia and Acosta is not afraid of embracing his feminity through makeup and his long curly hair. 

Being raised in a Chicano family, Acosta drew inspiration from his ancestry and family’s culture, transforming it into his style.

“My fashion sense and what I live for is Viva la Raza, Chicano power, I’m all about that it’s in my roots,” Acosta said. “Ever since I was a kid, I always lived for Viva la Raza, and I like expressing my fashion through the nostalgic Chicano rock movement.” 

Having nostalgia for a garment or fabric that is a throwback to a different era can sometimes be a driving force in someone’s sense of style and fashion. 

For Acosta, he considers his luscious long curly hair and his nostalgia for clothes a driving point in his style.

“Nostalgia is what really defines me, I crave nostalgia that’s why I wear bell bottoms and flares, and that’s why I keep my hair long,” Acosta said. “My hair is what also defines me, it’s my passion. It also defines my fashion because whenever I wear my hair down, it just makes me feel powerful with my bell bottoms and it keeps me in touch with those roots of Chicano rock movement.”

Some people may have trouble finding items that fit a particular aesthetic, which makes developing their fashion identity challenging.

For Acuna and Acosta, shopping at Savers, local thrift shops, or Depop; an online thrift store, has helped them discover their style just a little bit easier.

With the many unique styles fashion has to offer in the borderland or across the world, some individuals may find one specific style that sparks their creativity can be a challenge at first, but for Acuna being open to trying new things can help with that experience.

“Honestly not caring what other people think and being authentic to yourself,” Acosta said. “If you like something wear it, make it your own and own it and just not be afraid to experiment and try new things, that would be my advance.” 

Erik Acosta is staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]