The Prospector’s Student-Athlete of the Month: Alexia Morales

Gianluca Cuevas
Lexi Morales in the batter’s box as she awaits the pitch.

Growing up near softball stadiums, attending countless softball games and tournaments, hearing fans screaming, parents cheering and having teammates supporting each other, has been the world that revolves around UTEP junior outfielder Alexia ‘Lexi’ Morales.

Morales grew up in El Paso, Texas, and is the daughter of Joe and Elsa Morales, in a household driven by sports and softball. Morales’ passion and interest in the game was embedded at an early age since her father played softball when he was younger and was part of the USA national softball team.

“My dad played softball his whole life, so it has always been engraved in me a little bit and I think we bonded a lot because of it,” Morales said. “He has been my coach since I got to high school, so I think being able to go play tournaments with him and him being part of every success that I had is really important to me.”

Playing since she was three years old, Morales started her successful softball career at Chapin High School, playing infielder for the Huskies. Her talent and passion helped lead the team to a regional semifinal for state playoffs and a District 1-5A Championship.

Thanks to Morales’ exceptional softball skills throughout high school, she was selected for the Texas Girls Association’s Class 5A All-State team and in 2020 Morales received the El Paso Hall of Fame Female Athlete of the Year award for Chapin High School.

Now, a junior majoring in forensic science, Morales has been playing at UTEP for two years, helping lead the softball team to a massive victory against the UTSA Roadrunners for the first time in a series finale Mar. 12.

Juggling exams, classes and being a student-athlete can be challenging for some, but for Morales having solid time management skills has helped her balance her softball career while being a student.

“It was definitely an adjustment coming from high school into college,” Morales said. “But once you can get your time management up and understand that things need to be done and school is a little bit more important than softball, you will be alright.”

A strong and gifted female athlete in an industry dominated by men, Morales says that all female athletes should have confidence in their skills and seize every opportunity that comes their way.

“Never doubt yourself and your abilities because there is always an opportunity,” Morales said. “Even though we are women, we get overlooked a lot.

As long you work hard, and set your sites on what you want to do, you can be successful.”

Female athletes can find several female role models in the sports world to look up to, like Serena Williams, Alex Morgan and Danica Patrick. Yet, it is Jennie Finch, a softball athlete, who has given Morales confidence.

“She’s been to the Olympics and the highest state that we as softball players can go, so I think seeing her doing that and being successful at that level has encouraged me to keep going,” Morales said. “Obviously that’s the end goal but seeing her do it, made me want to do it.”

Through those years of practicing with her father, sharing special memories with teammates and experiencing the ups and downs of being an athlete, Morales is still unsure whether she wants to continue after college. However, Morales encourages other female athletes who want to play after high school to push and keep moving forward.

“We are at a very high level here, and it is hard but keep moving forward after high school,” Morales said. “Yes, the process is hard, but it is definitely worth it. Once you get there and put in the work, all the hard work you have done, it will pay off eventually.”

Erik Acosta is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]