Jane Asinde: From court to commencement

Jane Asinde stares down the defense during a game against MTSU, Feb. 17.

As the final buzzer sounds on her collegiate basketball journey, Jane Asinde celebrates not only a victorious career on the court but also a triumph in academia, marking her graduation from college as a testament to her dedication and excellence both on and off the hardwood. 

Growing up, Asinde says she was a shy girl in Kampala, Uganda bullied for being quiet and taller than the other kids. Through playing basketball and meeting other people who were her height, Asinde’s confidence began to grow.  

Asinde found her passion for basketball that was ignited by her older sister, who represented Uganda on the national women’s basketball team. Through her sister’s connection, Asinde was introduced to a coach in the United States, marking the beginning of her basketball journey abroad. 

She joined the UTEP basketball team in August 2023, but before she had played at Wichita State in Kansas for two years, Asinde played in 60 games and was a starter for 53 of them. During her sophomore year, she played at Grayson College. Asinde said when she visited UTEP she knew immediately that it was the place where she wanted to finish her collegiate basketball career.  

“When I came to UTEP for a visit I immediately fell in love with the place,” Asinde said. “The environment kind of resembles back home. I also went to Track One when I came to visit, and I loved the chicken, and I was like you know what? I got to be here.” 

During her time at UTEP Asinde played in the forward position. As a senior, she was a Third Team All-Conference selection, averaging a team-high 13.1 points and 9.8 rebounds per game. She also had 26 blocks and 59 steals recorded during the season.  

When asked what her favorite part of being on the UTEP basketball team was, she said it was meeting new people.  

“Getting to meet my new teammates, people, and being coached by one of the greatest female coaches that has ever coached me,” Asinde said. “The fans are amazing and they love so much. The best part about being on this team was that I was able to be myself.” 

Asinde was a part of head coach Keitha Adams’ first team since she returned to UTEP. Even though Asinde only played one season with her, she said that coach Adams had a huge impact on her and taught her many important lessons on and off the court. 

“I have learned a lot from coach Keitha Adams,” Asinde said. “She is very goal oriented, and she knows what she wants. She makes me want to be successful in what I do. She always pushed me to be the best that I can be, she knows that I can produce and get to the place that I need to be.” 

The future is bright for Asinde, she said that she has been waiting for this day for a very long time. Asinde will be graduating with a degree in general business, and she plans on opening a laundromat in Uganda with the business skills she learned in her classes.  

After graduation, Asinde said she will be moving back home to Uganda to spend time with her family for a while and then she will play professionally wherever God needs her. If she gets drafted into the WNBA she wants to play for the Aces, and if she plays in Europe she plans to play in Italy.  

“I’ll miss my teammates, my coaches, the fans, the food, and everything about El Paso,”  Asinde said. “I want people to know that I am going to miss them and I love them, mostly the basketball fans for the women. They really have a special spot in my heart right now. I just want them to know that I appreciate them for going to the games.” 

Alyson Rodriguez is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]; @alyson_rod1127 on X.