Will you be voting in the 2024 Presidential Election?

BAMH ensures UTEP students get the support they require

Eduardo Ibarra
Antonio Hernandez is the president of UTEP BAHM.

On every college campus, students must be heard. When life throws challenges, having a support system is critical and a special part of campus life. There are numerous organizations at UTEP that provide mental health resources and BAMH (Bringing Awareness to Mental Health) brings a refreshing wave of new opportunities. 

BAMH is a new UTEP organization that is not only provided for the students but is also started by the students. Antonio Inez Hernandez Jr. is the founder of BAMH and is the president of the UTEP BAMH chapter. Hernandez pledges to make a difference in the campus through events and educational resources that revolve around the importance of mental health. 

Hernandez said the importance of mental health matters due to the stigma around the topic. 

“The stigma and the walls of silence surround El Paso,” Hernandez said. “We live in that Hispanic culture of keeping silence on mental health.” 

Hernandez and other students first started the organization when he was enrolled at El Paso Community College (EPCC)in 2019. On Nov. 30, 2019, the second chapter was born and officially made an organization at UTEP. On April 18, 2024, the UTEP chapter of BAMH received proclamation from the Student Government Association (SGA).

The proclamation acknowledges the extraordinary work BAMH has done at UTEP and solidifies their status as a recognized student organization. Hernandez said he has great confidence that changes will be made that benefit students.

“That’s an achievement that we hold with great honor, and we hope to work with SGA in the future,” Hernandez said. “I really do love the fact that with the SGA proclamation, we’re going to be able to do a lot more and I think that’s what gives us hope that there is a future here at UTEP. There is a future for students out here at UTEP.”

BAMH has plenty of opportunities for any UTEP student of any age that is struggling with mental health. However, one of the biggest opportunities the organization says they have to offer is friendship. Hernandez says offering good company and a lending hand to someone in need is what BAMH brings to the table.

Joining the organization is a means of advocating for mental health and learning how to stand up for the community. Hernandez said that in everything they do within the organization, they try to make an everlasting and positive impact.

Hernandez shares his excitement on seeing the organization growing and his hopes for the future of BAMH.  

“I’m very excited for more chapters to be formed,” Hernandez said. “Somewhere else may be pretty worse but it’s about breaking those walls of silence, breaking that stigma and breaking that stress and striving and bringing hope to our students that there is a better future.”

Hernandez said the main focus of BAMH is to ensure students that everyone is able to achieve their dreams. Welcoming every student with open arms, Hernandez says. empowering anyone on how to overcome struggles

Marco Hinojosa is the audience and engagement editor and may be reached at [email protected].