Mean Girls the Musical in the Sun City

Pictured (L-R): Kristen Amanda Smith (Gretchen Wieners), Maya Petropoulos (Regina George), Maryrose Brendel (Karen Smith), and Natalie Shaw (Cady Heron). Photos by Jenny Anderson, 2023.

Grab your pink apparel as Mean Girls the Broadway Musical is performing for its North America tour. On April 5-7, Mean Girls hit the Plaza Theater stage with a packed house of El Pasoans of all ages.

The musical retelling of the original 2004 Mean Girls is made up of two acts, and the performance started with “A Cautionary Tale” by characters Janis Sarkisian and Damian Hubbard. This song tells the tale of what is bound to happen in this story of betrayal. This then leads to “It Roars” by character Cady Herons living in Africa and getting ready to move to the United States. As time goes on, the audience is presented with the one and only Regina George in “Meet the Plastics” and Gretchen Wieners and the iconic Karen Smith.

Throughout every song, the acting, costuming, and set was breathtaking. The audience could feel the energy the actors had during this performance and how the performers embraced these roles. 

Indulging more into the drama, “Word Burn” brings upon a range of emotions from vocals to even lighting. A black aura surrounding Regina George with a bright pink light above mimicking paper copies of the burn book set the audience aback in shock. 

Though no one was hit by an actual bus, the props and set design of the musical were perfect and added visual dynamics that made the show amazing.

Mean Girls the Musical continues the tour across North America with its newest stop in Columbia, South Carolina from April 23 to April 25. More information can be found at https://meangirlsontour.com/.

Avery Escamilla-Wendell is the arts & culture editor and may be reached at [email protected] or Instagram @by_avery_escamilla.