Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

MLB season underway

The 2024 Major League Baseball (MLB) season officially kicked off March 28 with a series of highly anticipated matchups, and the first two weeks have already made history. Photo courtesy of Flickr.

The 2024 Major League Baseball (MLB) season officially kicked off March 28 with a series of highly anticipated matchups, and the first two weeks have already made history.  

Many fans across the country were thrilled to see their favorite teams retake the field after the offseason. In Houston, the Astros hosted the New York Yankees in their first game. The game was a nail-biter, with the Yankees ultimately coming out on top 5-4. The Yankees swept the Astros in four games to get off to one of the hottest starts in franchise history.

The Dodgers, after shaking off the Shohei Ohtani Scandal, have vaulted to the top of the National League (NL) West standings, despite losing their opening series to the Los Angeles Angels, who are looking to bounce back after a tough last year.

As the season gets going several teams have shown they could be a force to reckon with as the season goes along. Joining the Dodgers atop the NL standings are the Pittsburgh Pirates and Atlanta Braves. On the American League (AL) side, the New York Yankees currently hold baseball’s best record at 10-3, matching their best start through 13 games in franchise history. Alongside the Yankees are fellow division leaders, the Cleveland Guardians and the defending World Series Champions the Texas Rangers.  

Astros pitcher, Ronel Blanco, made history as he became the 17th pitcher in Astros history to throw a no-hitter, not allowing a hit from opposing batters. It is one of baseball’s greatest achievements, going nine or more innings and getting 27 or more outs without giving up a single hit. “It’s been a very long road traveled for me, a lot of ups and downs, a lot of falls and me getting back up,” Blanco said. “But I think all of that has been worth it for me to be able to get to this moment.” 

As one pitcher celebrated a career achievement, five more suffered grim news about their pitching prospects for the 2024 season. To start the season, Yankees ace, a reigning AL Cy Young award winner (American League Best Pitcher) Gerrit Cole, received bad news about a ligament in his elbow possibly being damaged. The Yankees subsequently put Cole on the 60-day disabled list, making him unavailable to pitch until those 60 days are up. The bad news for Yankees pitchers didn’t stop there. Jonathan Loaisiga tore a ligament in his elbow just a week and a half into the season, ending his 2024 campaign.   

Over a 48-hour span, Eury Perez of the Miami Marlins, Shane Beiber of the Guardians, and Spencer Strider of the Braves all tore their ulnar collateral ligaments in their elbows, ending their seasons prematurely as well.

Injuries to pitchers have mounted in recent years, and the MLB has done little to address the mounting pile of torn UCL’s. Yankees ace Gerrit Cole spoke out about the recent rash of arm injuries to pitchers.  

“But as we’ve evolved over the last 10 years, we’ve had two shortened ramp-ups (because of the COVID-19 pandemic and a labor lockout). We’ve had the pitch clock,” Cole said. “Guys have had to adjust to other different rules inside the game and how they go about their business. I think it’s irresponsible for either side to say any one of those things definitely has no impact on pitchers’ elbows or shoulders.” 

Still, fans of baseball like Yankee’s fan Ferine Ferniza are excited about the season.   

“I’m always excited for Yankees baseball, especially when the roster looks like it’ll be able to compete for a World Series. Having Juan Soto is exciting, and the middle of the lineup looks electric with Soto, Judge, Rizzo, and Stanton,” Ferniza said.  

As fans wait to see what the standings will look like in October, one thing is for sure is that this season will provide fans with some electric moments and history.

Jorge Guajardo is a staff reporter and can be reached at [email protected].