College of Business welcomes Hadjimarcou

John Hadjimarcou, Ph.D., first came to UTEP in 1994, starting as a professor and eventually being appointed interim dean in 2023. On Mar. 25, 2024, Hadjimarcou was named the permanent dean of the Woody L. Hunt College of Business.

UTEP has named John Hadjimarcou Ph.D the new dean of the Woody L. Hunt College of Business. Since August of 2023, Hadjimarcou has served as interim dean of the college of business.  

Hadjimarcou has received multiple awards throughout his career, including outstanding research awards from the faculty and the Business College Council.  In 2010, he received UTEP’s highest teaching honor, the Faculty Achievement Award for teaching.  

“Our focus will be student success. We want to focus intensely on our students, on their success while they’re taking classes here. We need to develop them to be successful in their careers,” Hadjimarcou said. “We need to prepare for them that. Everything else we do will be around that idea.” 

Hadjimarcou thinks that UTEP has excellent students, and they need their full support to make them successful in their careers.  

“We need to make sure they have all of the skills that they need to have to be successful in their careers in not just today, but for the careers of tomorrow,” Hadjimarcou said. “The last thing we want to do is prepare students for careers that area going to be obsolete in a few years.” 

In this new position Hadjimarcou hopes to create a process for students that moves them through the different stages of preparing them for a job and their careers. 

“We want to make sure that our students go through a process to develop their resumes, develop their skills to interview, skills to succeed at their jobs. And of course, before they get to their careers, they need to be able to network and interview well,” Hadjimarcou said. “So, we are going to put a process like that together to move students through those different stages of preparation. By the time they are ready to look for a job, then they’re going to be successful in doing that. We are going to do what we can to make that happen.” 

President Heather Wilson, Ph.D., later congratulated Hadjimarcou on this success and how he will work hard to lead a college.   

“John has served this University for nearly three decades,” Wilson said. “I am not surprised that, following a national search, he has emerged as the right person to lead a college that is actively working to become the nation’s leader in research and scholarship on U.S Mexico trade.” 

Hadjimarcou considers UTEP a special place and community and hopes to give back to the community and everything the city has to offer.  

“This is a special place, a special community,” Hadjimarcou said. “We are talking about a lot of individuals that work very hard. The culture in El Paso is very similar to the culture I grew up in. Hard work, family-oriented culture; to me it is like home. I appreciate everything about what El Paso has to offer.” 

Esteban is a staff reporter and can be reached at [email protected].