El Paso wears Denim and Rhinestones

Dominique Macias
Carrie Underwood returns to El Paso, after 16 years.

After 16 years, Carrie Underwood has returned to El Paso. Fans dressed in their boots and denim jackets as the Don Haskins Center vibrated with energy of excitement and anticipation. Fans of all generations came to celebrate Underwood’s return in hopes that their favorite song would be played. 

Sisters, Victoria and Genesis Arreola have been fans since they were young. Victoria Arreola says her, and her sister started listening to Carrie Underwood from a young age and their love for her has grown with them.  

“We’re so excited, reminiscing on just like growing up and being able to experience our life together,” Victoria Arreola said. “Being able to share all these experiences through music has been great.” 

One song that connected the sisters is one of Underwood’s most popular songs, “Before He Cheats” that spent 64 consecutive weeks on the Billboard top 100 chart in 2007. 

“‘Before He Cheats’ is a song that we would jam out to, listen to super loud, and when I started driving, it would be one we would listen to on the drive,” Victoria Arreola said. “When (Genesis) started growing up and having experiences one day that song actually meant something to her and now here we are.” 

Underwood’s newest album “Denim and Rhinestones “came out in June of 2022, with the deluxe version coming out a year later Sept. 22, 2023. Her album reached the No.2 spot on the Billboard top country album chart in 2022. During the concert, Underwood performed songs from the album such as “Crazy Angels” and “Garden” in which before performing talked about her love of gardening and the beauty of watching things grow. 

Another fan was accompanied by her mother to the concert. Lisa Rivera has been a fan of Underwood since her appearance on American Idol, where she won the fourth season in 2005. Rivera says that she and her mother go to concerts together, and has hopes that Underwood plays her favorite song, “Good Girl.” 

“(Underwood’s) the queen of country, I love her, she’s a sweetheart,” Rivera said. “She’s a really good role model to follow.”

Before ending her concert, Underwood talked about loving the music that makes one close their eyes but then introduced her next song saying she is glad that we have this music too. 

“I’m glad to get cover a lot of ground too you know,” Underwood said. “We get to sing songs that are darker and to sing songs that are about, you know, drinking and cheating.” 

The crowd roared after Underwood said this, as the anticipation for “Before He Cheats” began.    Once the beginning guitar strums began for “Before He Cheats” the audience rose from their seats to sing along with Underwood. Underwood at that moment was able to connect with almost every single person, leaving them with a memory they will not forget. 

Adam Regalado is the multimedia editor and may be reached at [email protected].