UTEP Tennis serves 7-0 loss to junior college, falls to C-USA rival

Emmanuel Rivas Valenzuela
The UTEP tennis team is now 4-12 on the season and 0-3 in C-USA play.

The UTEP women’s tennis team hosted two teams Easter weekend in hopes of bouncing back from a series of losses. The team is currently 4-12 and winless in conference play following the Friday and Saturday matchups at the El Paso Tennis Club. 

Friday’s first team match pitted the Miners against Seward County Community College (11-2), 7-0. All singles matches saw the Miners dominate the junior college athletes. The only close match was the head-to-head between freshman Hanna Telzynska and Seward freshman Alejandra Ramirez Botella which saw both sets end in a 7-5 score. 

Pairs matchups provided more competition for UTEP as all matches ended within three sets of each other. 

The first match in this phase featured UTEP’s junior Zuzanna Szczepanska and senior Veronika Lebisova and Seward’s freshman Emma Petton and freshman Polya Nikolova. The final score favored the Miners 6-3. 

Junior Carlotta Mencaglia and Telzynska would follow up with a win of their own against Seward’s freshman Lara Torres Baron and Botella which ended in a 7-5 match. This match was the longest of the day with 12 sets played between the two pairs. 

To round out the afternoon, senior Elena Dibattista and freshman DeCora Antoine notched a 6-4 win over sophomore Camila Corrales and freshman Anna Verevska. 

The Miners would head into Saturday’s match up versus Middle Tennessee with a 7-0 result. 

UTEP would lose three singles matches at the hands of the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders and both finished matches in the pairs phase of the afternoon. 

Saturday’s only victory for the Miners belonged to the senior Veronika Lebisova defeating junior Ilaria Sposetti in two matches. 

UTEP ended Saturday down 4-1 against Middle Tennessee. Up next for the Miners is a road trip to UTSA on April 6. The next home match will see the Miners face off against another junior college team in Weatherford College Wednesday, April 10. 

Emmanuel Rivas Valenzuela Armendariz is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]: @rivasemmanuel2 on Instagram.