Will you be voting in the 2024 Presidential Election?

UTEP softball plays hard against Jax State in Easter weekend games

Outfielder Idalis Mendez looks to hit the ball during a game, Mar. 30.

UTEP Softball played three games at home in the Helen of Troy Softball Complex March 28-30 against Jax State, ultimately incurring a win and two losses against the Gamecocks ahead of Easter Sunday. The Gamecocks flipped the script on the Miners as UTEP won the first game on Thursday but incurred two losses on Friday and Saturday. 

Game One 

UTEP brought their record to 18-9, C-USA 4-3 with their win over Jax State, who fell to 12-21, C-USA 2-6. Jax State held the lead early on, scoring three runs via a bases-loaded walk and a two run batted in (RBI)-double.  

However, this did not deter UTEP as the Miners recovered, with junior Ajia Richard scoring one run in the fourth inning. The Miners carried the momentum into the sixth inning, when senior Anna Sample scored a grand slam over the scoreboard with loaded bases, giving the Miners four points and the lead over Jax State. 

The Gamecocks would score two runs in the seventh inning, but they could not overcome graduate student Zaylie Calderon’s pitches, as she secured the strikeouts necessary for the Miners to win the game by a point (5-6).

Game Two 

Although extra innings were played, the Miners succumbed to Jax State, this time losing by a point (3-2). Despite the loss, senior Ashlynn Allen was a crucial player in the game, as she scored a two-run homer early in the game, allowing Sample to run the bases. 

Jax State fought UTEP late in the game, tying the game up with an RBI-double in the sixth inning and an RBI-single in the seventh inning. Jax State, looking to gain the edge over UTEP, swapped out pitchers, bringing the game into the eighth inning. The Gamecocks earned a solo home run in the game, taking the lead and ultimately the win over the Miners. 

Game Three 

On Saturday, the stadium was played to a sold-out crowd; however, the Miners were unable to put points on the scoreboard over the Gamecocks. Jax State came out strong from the very beginning, scoring a home run with the first pitch of the game.

Both teams pushed on through five more innings before the Gamecocks put up a two RBI-single in the seventh inning, ending the game 3-0 over the Miners, who are now 18-11, C-USA 4-5. This game brings the Gamecocks to a 14-21, C-USA 4-5 record.

Despite the loss dealt to UTEP, the game featured an Easter egg hunt for the kids, in celebration of the upcoming holiday.

UTEP softball will be heading away to Miami to face Florida International University April 5-7.

Nicholas Maes is the sports editor and may be reached at [email protected].