BACK TO BLACK: The gothic resurrection

Dominique Macias
Goth is a style influenced by art, music and literature.

Black lace traces down as large silver jewelry with spikes and stones glimmers, gothic fashion is back in style. Dating back to the Victorian era, gothic fashion, and its aesthetics have been seen as bad to some people as it has been associated with evil. From romantic goth, and cyber goth to Victorian goth there are many elements of goth styles that go unheard. 

Goth is influenced by art, music, literature and style that comes from the Victorian era.  

According to Goth Style Guide: Evolution of Goth Outfits Throughout the Years by PSYLO, “While the scene was developed mainly in the 1980s by fans of bands like Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, Bauhaus and other Gothic rock, as a dark aesthetic, it is rooted in gothic art & architecture from the mid-12th to 16th centuries.”

El Pasoan Maliah Armendariz, takes part in goth fashion which was inspired by art.

“It started off with, my emo phase, and then I stuck to dark clothing and I was just inspired by art and started looking into music videos and I was like, huh, that kind of looks cool, I think that would look good on me,” Armendariz said. 

Gothic fashion and style call for the use of creativity and eccentric taste to create a feeling of freedom. 

“You can experiment with different things, but with gothic fashion, there is no definitive way to dress,” Armendariz said.  “Gothic you can play around with it, you can look silly and still feel good; just do whatever feels good to you.”

In goth fashion, incorporating individual taste, personality and use of dark clothing helps people put their own unique style to it. 

El Pasoan Finn Smith found their way to gothic fashion through goth music.

“I was always more into alternative fashion, but getting into more goth music, my mom helped show me a lot of goth music,” Smith said. “There’s a pretty vibrant local goth scene here and just getting involved in there, kind of inspired me to bring elements of that into my own fashion sense.” 

Goth music is a large chunk of what makes goth fashion today. Smith believes that gothic fashion is rooted in its music.

“Goth itself is a music-based sub.  Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division and all that post-Punk, 80s stuff, really brought it to the mainstream,” Smith said. “I try to bring those into my style, those traditional gothic roots while still trying to bring in some more modern styles of gothic fashion, more like layering different accessories, lots of crosses and stuff.”

When it comes to gothic fashion, makeup also plays a large part in a goth look. Cosette Galloway, brings the makeup to their gothic fashion and looks.

“I slowly started experimenting mainly with makeup, but more so with fashion and got more into it through friends and just the community mainly,” Galloway said. 

In the past, gothic fashion was seen as weird or was harshly criticized by some people. However, goth is expanding to new horizons and is seen in a better light with different generations of people.

“We’re finally within that year to accept what it actually is (gothic fashion) and respect it for what it was rather than just being like it ew it’s lame of that’s the losers that are goth,” Galloway said.

To those who may feel anxious or scared to try gothic fashion, starting out small with accessories, makeup or music may help out with the process. 

“Do it even if it scares you,” Armendariz said. “You may get criticized for it, but just do it. You’ll never know if you’ll like it until you try it.” 

Avery Escamilla-Wendell is the arts & culture editor and may be reached at [email protected] or Instagram @by_avery_escamilla.

View Comments (3)
Avery Escamilla-Wendell
Avery Escamilla-Wendell, Arts & Culture Editor
Dominique Macias
Dominique Macias, Contributor/Photographer
Dominique Macias is a junior majoring in media advertising minor in creative writing. She is a contributor at The Prospector. After graduation Dominique hopes to pursue a career in the media publishing world; as a photographer or writer.