UTEP Softball gives their all in Battle of 1-10 series

UTEP Softball’s Battle of I-10 happened on March 22. and 23. in the New Mexico State University Softball Complex. Photo courtesy of UTEP Athletics.

The Battle of 1-10 is a phenomenon for sports in the El Paso and New Mexico areas, and UTEP softball got its chance to swing at bat this past weekend on March 22 and 23. UTEP battled to the very end in all three games but lost to the New Mexico State Aggies in game one and splitting against them in games two and three.  

UTEP softball leads Conference USA in doubles per game (2.14) and scoring (5.50), ranking them second in the nation behind East Carolina in doubles per game. The UTEP team has also featured many player highlights, including graduate student pitcher/utility Zaylie Calderon, who has ranked second nationally while leading C-USA with five saves. Five of the Miners on the team have totaled 18 home runs for UTEP, with junior infielder Ajia Richard contributing for five of the team.  

GAME ONE against NMSU on Friday

The first game for UTEP could have gone better for the team, falling to the Aggies with a score of 9-1 in the opener on Friday night. This game dropped UTEP to 16-8 overall, 2-2 C-USA, with the Aggies flying to 15-11, 5-2 C-USA.

Although it was a loss for the Miners, there were highlights to make up for the game. In the third inning, UTEP was able to have a push, getting senioroutfielder Lexi Morales. However, the Aggies made consistent runs throughout each inning. Soon, NMSU ensured a run-rule win by the fifth inning.  

GAME ONE AND TWO against NMSU on Saturday 

Game one saw the Miners swing back hard, with a big step forward for UTEP and a total score of 12-10. Both teams played their offensive to the fullest. Senior catcher/utility Marijn Crouwel made a single in the opening inning, helping Richard drive in.

Soon, the Aggies fought back with a sacrifice fly, evening out the score. Senior outfielder Ashlynn Allen made a home run to left field in the second inning, rallying the miners to keep pushing hard toward the Aggies.  

The fifth inning saw high tensions for both teams as Richard made a sacrifice fly and Crouwel made a single, drawing out UTEP’s lead. However, the Aggies made a single, driving in two runs plus a home run to go up in scoring when they needed to the most.

Soon, UTEP fires up the sixth inning with a home run from junior catcher Kenna Collett and Richard. Even with a home run from the Aggies in the bottom of the sixth, UTEP still ran away with the win in the seventh inning from a double by Richard. Calderon earned her sixth save, and Felder earned her eighth win.

Both teams fought valiantly in game two, with the Aggies ultimately winning the series. Collet scored, with Richard crossing the plate. Sophomore outfielder Halle Hogan made a sacrifice fly, with Collett crossing the plate. However, the Aggies slowly made their way up, bringing in a final run to win the game.

The Miners made an overall highlight by not holding a 3-3 record in conference play since 2016. UTEP heads back on the field to play Jax State on March 28-30. 

Catching Marginot is a contributor and can be reached at [email protected].