The women of SGA

Gianluca Cuevas
Ana Giselle Marquez-Perez, education major and the collegiate senator for education.

March celebrates National Women’s Month, highlighting the many powerful women in history and society. There are many women leaders at UTEP who are representing the UTEP community and borderland identities. 

Alexa Gonzalez, a sophomore biological science major with a concentration in biomedicine, is the Vice President of External Affairs for UTEP Student Government Association (SGA).

Gonzalez is an international student, who crossed the border to the United States when she turned 18-years-old.

“The first time I crossed was when I turned 18 years old with my F-1 Visa,” Gonzalez said. “Since then my life has changed a lot.  My family cannot cross over with me, so I had to start from zero here. I’m very excited about pursuing my career, but it is difficult having the support of my family come through the telephone. But America is the land of opportunity, so I’m trying to represent my people.

Gonzalez is also a recipient of the IME-BECAS (IME) scholarship provided by the Consulate General of Mexico, who have been awarding Mexican students who study abroad in the United States since 2013, according to the Office of Scholarships at UTEP. 

“You cannot be a leader if you don’t know yourself,” Gonzalez said. “Know yourself and know your environment before signing on to become a leader.”

Gonzalez plans on pursuing a career path as a gynecologist. After her exchange program in South Korea is complete, she will be applying for medical school.

Another member of SGA is collegiate senator for education Ana Giselle Marquez-Perez, a sophomore majoring in education.

Perez is also an international student, who crosses the border daily to attend UTEP and her job.

“I live in Juárez. I cross the border every day. I need a student visa to come to UTEP,” Perez said. “I have to have three documents every day to cross the border. My F-1, I-20, I-94. So, something that stresses me out is making sure I have these three documents on me when I cross or else I want to be able to make it to UTEP or my job.” 

Perez wants to become a bilingual elementary school teacher to facilitate the learning of the second language to children.

“I kind of struggled learning English as my second language. I didn’t have a good experience because I was learning something mandatory and not something fun. It’s something we see in our local community,” Perez said. “I volunteer with the kindergarten classroom and most of the children are from Juarez.  They put them in schools in El Paso to learn English, but it is something they feel they have to do because they want to.”

Perez is currently working on an information session for education majors.

“The education major works differently from other majors at UTEP. To teach, you have to be certified,” Perez said.  “Depending on your concentration, there are different exams you have to take to get certified. But to take those exams you need to take the EPP.”

According to UTEP College of Education the Educator Preparation Program (EPP) is a mandatory program that students who wish to be certified in Texas.

Women across the UTEP campus continue to show their leadership and wisdom to others, inspiring the community.

Esteban Corona is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected].