Alyssa Sianez: On the court and in the classroom

Gianluca Cuevas
UTEP volleyball libero and mathematics major, Alyssa Sianez, who hopes to teach middle school math, was chosen to be the GoTeach Dr. Pepper tuition giveaway program recipient.

The UTEP volleyball team took home a second-place title in the National Invitational Volleyball Championship in December, gaining more recognition in the world of athletics at UTEP. In February, the team was presented to UTEP fans at a basketball game. What one of the team members, Alyssa Sianez, did not know was that she was about to be presented with a $12,500 scholarship. Her teammates stood behind her with only smiles across their faces, knowing what was about to happen. It was a moment Sianez, and her team will never forget.

Sianez, a senior at UTEP majoring in mathematics with a minor in education, has loved volleyball since she was young. Inspired by her older sisters, she grew up playing softball and volleyball and eventually decided to focus on volleyball.

“I was around 10 when I joined my first city club,” Sianez said. “It just grew on me, being in the gym from day in and day out, watching my sisters play.” 

Sianez is known for being a local walk-on volleyball star for UTEP.  She says although she loves volleyball, she hopes to teach middle school math and eventually progress to teaching high school. 

The GoTeach scholarship is one meant to lead students on the path to successful teaching careers. According to the GoTeach Foundation’s website, student athletes are likely the individuals who possess the characteristics of being the prime targets for the field of teaching. The GoTeach foundation says their goal is to place 10,000 students in teaching positions within 10 years. 

Sianez’s minor in education, made her one of those prime athlete targets. She says before receiving the scholarship, she was awarded a partial scholarship from the Go-Teach program before.

“Because I’ve gotten it before, I was really intrigued, I really wanted to do it again.” Sianez said. It means a lot to me, from being a walk-on to getting some of my masters (degree) paid for.” 

Sianez excelled during her freshman and sophomore year on the team.

Her junior year season was no different in accomplishments, with hitting perfect reception 14 times throughout the season. She was awarded the C-USA Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll in 2021 and 2022 and the C-USA Commissioner’s Academic Medal in the 2020-2021 season.  

With the volleyball season over, Sianez anticipates graduating in May 2025 and continuing her education with a master’s in education counseling. She says she will forever be grateful for the girls she calls family and for the opportunities the sport has made available for her. 

Sianez expressed her love for El Paso while being able to play as her family and city watches and making them proud. 

“There’s always time for traveling, there’s always time for getting out,” Sianez said. “Keep your options open, don’t shut down staying in El Paso, don’t shut down your options.” 

Sianez thanks her family, her city, and the girls that she has gotten the chance to play with. She says she can see the UTEP volleyball program growing and says she is thankful for every part of it. Once Sianez leaves the court, she says she hopes to be someone others can look up to, making them proud along the way.   

Adam Regalado is the multimedia editor and may be reached at [email protected].