IM NOVELTIES: Dynamic duo keeping downtown alive through a creative vision

Iziah Moreno
When it comes to the shop, Mariano tries to be unpredictable, new, and different.

Downtown El Paso is known as the heart of the city. For years, the downtown area was without liveliness, but the area has welcomed blossoming businesses with time. ‘IM NOVELTIES,’ is a testament to magnificent shops popping up around the borderland. 

Owners Mariano Adame and Ilse Adame are a dynamic duo that raise the bar for retail businesses in the borderland. The sibling entrepreneurs have weaved their creative vision into building a thriving franchise. 

From eccentric pieces of clothing, to staggering eyewear to intricate jewelry, the store showcases clothing items curated by local designers such as Sergio Estrada for ‘6par6noid6,’ Jose Gaucin for ‘Gaucin Couture’ and Dian Alva for ‘glowbydian.’ 

The duo says putting together a business takes determination and precise thinking. Mariano Adame shared how his career started.  

“I think it all came organically,” Mariano Adame said. “We’ve all been at hard points in our lives, but I think during those hard moments was when I narrowed in and took it one day at a time, and from that came this thing that has become bigger than me.” 

With ‘IM NOVELTIES’ flourishing and inspiring individuals to upgrade their wardrobe, the owners want to offer something different compared to average retail stores.  

“I’m trying to be unpredictable, and I try to offer what is new and different,” Mariano Adame said. 

Mariano Adame thinks that Ilse Adame played an integral role behind the booming of the business and is his right hand when it comes to visually piecing everything together. Ilse Adame says the idea came about when he was an athlete.  

“What inspired me personally was that I grew up as a student athlete. There were only so many times when I could really dress up and express myself uniquely. I always had this inclination towards anything artistic,” Ilse Adame said. 

The sibling duo is redefining the downtown scene with their innovative family-run shop. Giving a whole new feeling of extravagance to retail shopping in the borderland, Mariano Adame shares why El Pasoans should see what downtown has to offer to the public.  

“I suggest people spend some time downtown,” Mariano Adame said. “We have a beautiful downtown, and I would like people to not only visit my store but visit the new businesses popping up. It’s more about being a store where we provide a community for these local artists to come and sell their products.” 

The storefront welcomes everyone to look around, try on clothing pieces and even engage in friendly conversation. Rare finds such as bole ties and distinct earrings can be found for any occasion.  

El Pasoan Sebastian Long modeled clothes for the Adame siblings and shares what makes ‘IM NOVELTIES’ so special.  

“I feel like you go to different stores and it’s either too curated or for a different demographic of people that I don’t really associate myself with,” Long said. “I feel like this store is more interesting compared to what the rest of the city has to offer.”  

While the business is working on forming a website for individuals to shop online, the siblings invite everyone to visit their boutique. With a heart for the community, the Adame siblings strive to make the sun city unique in fashion. ‘IM NOVELTIES’ is open 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday and is located at 222 Texas Ave.  

Marco Hinojosa is the audience and engagement editor and may be reached at [email protected].