Mother: She believed she could, so she did

Jaden Soto is a 23-year-old mother who raises her three-year-old daughter by relying on what’s she’s learned from her past experiences.

From late nights to early mornings to the first day of school, being a mom is a job of its own that creates beautiful life and everlasting lessons. Mothers can accomplish the impossible when it comes to raising children… However, being a mom can also be overwhelming to some, with the number sacrifices and having to plan around offspring.

Motherhood is handled differently by each woman and the journey is different, so what does it mean to be a mom? 40-year-old, Vanessa Rivera, says being a mom to twins means doing everything in her power to ensure that she can provide for and protect her children. 

“It’s one of the greatest gifts and roles I’ve ever taken on, it’s to provide for my kids anyway possible,” Rivera said. “You never knew what you were capable of doing or how much you could love a human being.” 

Apart from being a mother, Rivera is also a full-time pharmacist. After having her children starting a new career in Houston, Rivera says it’s especially difficult having to learn everything without the help of family members.

“It was a lot more anxiety, a lot more panic, knowing if I was doing anything right. It was a learning experience, and nobody could really give me a list on how to raise two kids at one time,” Rivera said.  

Many mothers take on the role of being a sole provider for their children, whether they have friends and loved ones who they can depend on or not.

“I think the mom sense kicks in and we want to take on everything and do everything all at once,” Rivera said. “I guess we feel like we can’t depend on anybody to provide for our kids the right way unless it’s us.” 

23-year-old Jaden Soto relies on her past experiences to help her raise her 3-year-old daughter.

“Growing up my mom was there, but she wasn’t as involved. So, when my baby got older, I told myself I’m going to make sure she knows she’s loved,” Soto said.

Soto believes it is important to follow this rule, so her child grows up knowing her worth.

“I can tell there’s an impact on my baby,” Soto said. “I want her to know that if her mom thinks she’s good enough, she’s good enough for everything.”

Many underestimate the amount of time and self-sacrifice mothers devote to their kids and the endless obstacles.

“I lost a lot of friends after I told everybody I was pregnant. I got judgement for being so young and I still get it now,” Soto said.

Mothers are also tasked with having to care for and nurture their kids while battling the physical and emotional effects of pregnancy and birth.

“Your hormones are everywhere. I felt alone, I had no sleep, I wasn’t eating good, and I was always in the house with the baby,” Soto said. “I think that got to me and I lost a lot of what I liked, and I didn’t feel like myself.” 

To many, it is hard to balance so many roles and responsibilities at once, and it can be even more difficult for mothers to remember that it is okay for them to be their own person aside from being a mom.

“Yes, you are a mom, but you’re still you,” Soto said.

Rivera says because much of her life encompasses her children, she tries to appreciate the moments where she can be herself.

“Sometimes I feel I get lost in it and finding me time is hard. Those hours I get to myself; I think are the times that I try to cherish,” Rivera said. 

Moms have their own definition of what it means to be a mother. To some, being a mother is to be a provider. To others it means to be a backbone for the whole family. It does not matter if these definitions are fitting for everyone because ultimately, being a mother can mean anything and everything depending on how they write their own story.

Alyda Muela is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]; @aly.rose.photos on Instagram.

View Comments (1)
Alyda Muela
Alyda Muela, Contributor/Writer
Alyda Muela is a sophomore at The University of Texas at El Paso. She is a contributor at The Prospector. She is a multimedia journalism major with a minor in general business. After graduation she hopes to travel the world to continue to pursue a career in journalism.