Let Selena rest

Gael Araiza

Every Hispanic, Latino and music lover remembers the day Selena Quintanilla Perez was murdered, by her close confidant and employee, Yolanda Saldivar. The legendary Tejano singer, Selena, passed away March 31, 1995. Time stood still that day, tears flooded in her memory, vigils were had, yet her music is still long lived after decades.  

Selena may be gone, but never forgotten as her iconic discography and character will be passed on through generations in households. Neither will the name, Yolanda Saldivar. Thus, when the announcement came from the Oxygen True Crime channel that a new docuseries, “Selena and Yolanda: The Secrets Between Them” was released in mid-February and it’s the perspective of Selena’s killer; an uproar instilled all over social media and within Hispanic families.  

UTEP student, Emri Nunez, says Saldivar really has nothing to prove, coming out with her side of the story.  

“It’s so disrespectful and whoever gave her the platform should be ashamed because she was the one who took that same right away from Selena,” Nunez said.  

In entertainment, whenever an iconic figure passes away, capitalization is put in their name, to carry their legacy and gain any fame from it, which Quintanilla’s family has done throughout many years; releasing albums, makeup lines and other vendors.  

Nunez ends her statement passionately, “Let her rest! There are other ways to remember her without trying to gain something from it and I think this show is another example of someone trying to capitalize off her death,” Nunez said. 

From another perspective, UTEP student, Miriam Mendoza says Saldivar has nothing left to justify or save herself from.  

“I really hope they don’t pull a Gypsy Rose on her and glamorize her,” Mendoza said.  

If the case scenario does happen where she is in the same limelight as Rose was when she got out of prison, Mendoza strengthened her opinion.  

“Even if she’s given the same amount of attention Gypsy Rose has gotten, I’d say we as a society are giving the wrong people a platform and too much influential power,” Mendoza said.  

A classmate of Mendoza, Angela Romero, stepped in and shared her input on the matter.  

“The fact that Yolanda won’t let her truly rest in peace shows how much the guilt is eating her life by trying to possibly justify her actions after all these years,” Romero said.  

Romero ends her opinion by saying with heart, that this is not at all how Selena should be remembered.  

I’d like to believe that Selena is in Hispanic culture for a reason. This docuseries is not how younger generations should be introduced to her and even should remember her. Selena fans will forever be grateful she was in our lifetime, and she created something that will forever be remembered.  

Something I will always stand by, as a music fan; the music will tell you everything that you need to know. Selena’s passion was in her and her music. Perhaps, that’s why so many people resonate with her music, because they see themselves from that perspective where the songs are written from. Therefore, the truth is in-between the lines and has always been there, whether we like to believe it or not.  

Dominique Macias is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]  

View Comments (3)
Dominique Macias
Dominique Macias, Contributor/Photographer
Dominique Macias is a junior majoring in media advertising minor in creative writing. She is a contributor at The Prospector. After graduation Dominique hopes to pursue a career in the media publishing world; as a photographer or writer.
Gael Araiza
Gael Araiza, Designer
Gael Araiza is the layout editor at The Prospector. Gael is a sophomore majoring in studio art with a concentration in graphic design and minoring in printmaking. Gael loves working with all things visual and plans to expand their creative capabilities through any and all mediums of design.