The Prospector’s ultimate guide to making friends on campus

Jesse, Kimberly, Daniela, Emiliano, Sebastian, and Mariano are an example of a friend group who found each other by being themselves.

The workload and rigor to the increase in student bodies are all bits of anxiety incoming students can feel trying to fit in on a new campus. Who will join them on their journeys through their college years is also a curiosity to satisfy.   

According to UTEP and College Factual, the makeup of campus consists of 50% first generation students, 830 students from Mexico and is home to around 1,387 international students. 

With a student body of around 24,000, some students say that the large campus makes it difficult to have similar schedules to friends from high school. 

To alleviate the freshmen jitters, UTEP students shared how they felt coming into UTEP and some of the best tips on good ways to make friends on campus.  

Sometimes no introduction is needed. 

The first tip comes from freshman, Rebecca Sanchez who shares her anxious feelings and what she did to overcome them.  

“I was really nervous because this is such a big school and there are so many people and obviously, I didn’t have a lot of classes with any of my friends,” Sanchez said. “The friends that I made so far are just because I sit next to people and turn around and talk, it is just a simple introduction. Actually, some of my friends did not even introduce each other, we just started talking. Just say anything and you’ll never know where is leads.” 

Find people with the same mindset. 

Juniors Vincent, DeAndre and Ryan also shared how even though they were nervous, they found it easy to form their friend group once they started attending classes with people in the same colleges and majors.  

“It has been really easy to make friends because we have the same mindset, you have people that think like you so it’s very easy to have conversations with those people,” DeAndre said. “Don’t overthink everything just go with it.” 

Go to UTEP events. 

Junior Claudia Rivera, shares that she met new people and friends at the different events UTEP offers around campus.   

“Coming to a new area was very nerve-wracking, especially coming in alone, I thought that it would be very difficult to make friends,” Rivera said. “Put yourself out there as much as you can and as much as you’re comfortable with. Try going to a lot of the UTEP events, try just saying hi to random people there because it could really benefit you.” 

Opening up takes experience and time. 

Sophomore Amanda Blanco shared how big of a leap UTEP was for her and how it took some time to be sure of herself and to start meeting new people.  

“I came from a small school, and we had a tight-knit relationships with our peers and teachers, so I was scared to go to a bigger place and (thought) I wasn’t going to make friends,” Blanco said. “As time went by and I got to experience more classes, and the new environment, I became more confident in myself and the way I communicate with people. The advice I would give is do not be scared to open up, just get rid of that fear.” 

Be yourself. 

Jesse, Kimberly, Daniela, Emiliano, Sebastian and Mariano, a friend group of freshmen, shared several tips that helped them come together.  

“Just be yourself, never be too shy, don’t be scared to talk to someone, ask any questions you have, and just have fun,” Daniela said. 

What is the worst that can happen? 

“People are way more kind than what they seem,” Jesse said. “We were all freshmen; we are looking for new people to meet and making new friends everyday. Talking in person instead of just texting in a class group chat, you should just ask someone. We are all lost, no one knows what we’re doing, what is the worst that can happen?” 

Many students at UTEP have gone through the experience of being in an unfamiliar environment. Even though a tremendous change can feel scary to some, change can also bring the opportunity to meet people who share similar interests or may show completely different perspectives.  College is the perfect chance to not only learn in lecture halls but through friendships and making lifelong bonds. 

Ximena Cordero is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]