Gaining a new family, joining sororities and fraternities

Eduardo Ibarra
Brianna Reyes, student and president of Sigma Lambda Gamma.

There is undeniable fear in the hearts of those entering a college campus for the first time.  Making friends and joining organizations can seem overwhelming, however, college is about making connections and growing as an individual and professional.   

There are plenty of memories and friendships to create in college. One of the best ways to make that kind of connection is by getting involved in Greek life on campus.

Fraternity and sorority memberships help young adults cultivate leadership skills, gain a better sense of social identity and participate in traditions that give back to the community while also being a part of a sisterhood or brotherhood.  

UTEP student and president of Sigma Lambda Gamma, Brianna Reyes, shares a viewpoint that incoming freshmen should take if they are feeling skeptical about joining a sorority or fraternity. 

“Sororities to me are a home away from home,” Reyes said. “I think if you are looking to get outside of your comfort zone, (sororities) are a structured leadership organization that improves not only your personal skills but also your leadership (and) mental health. You get involved on campus, (and) network a lot so it’s a really good thing to get out there.  (Also) it looks good on your resume.”  

Not only do sororities and fraternities focus on building internal skills, but they also help students develop claimed skills for future internships and job opportunities. 

Joining a sorority opens the door to endless possibilities that allows students to expand their social skills. UTEP is home to many wonderful chapters that promote campus involvement and Reyes shares why this form of community could be beneficial to new students.  

“It’s good to be in the community as such because not only do you get to network and meet a lot of people, but you also have a good support system you can lie on,” Reyes said. 

Reyes shares how joining her sorority Sigma Lambda Gamma, has helped her grow and connect with her community.  

“Gaining my own community, being able to have leadership roles and being able to network and travel around the United States to meet other members and the opportunities that sororities offer you,” Reyes said. “I’ve gotten outside of my comfort zone and been able to really be myself around these members, so I think it means being able to find people who accept you for who you are” 

Members who have gotten out of their comfort zones to join the world of Greek life say they have created a bond that cannot be broken while also gaining a family away from home. UTEP student and vice president of the Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity, Hilario Carreon, shares how joining his fraternity gave him the blessing of a new family he can rely on.  

“It is a great way to meet new people and find a family that’s here for you. Being that I was a transfer student, it was a great opportunity to find people that I could just connect with,” Carreon said.  

The transition to college can seem lonely and intimidating and to incoming UTEP students joining a sorority or fraternity can help build those last long friendships that make the college experience memorable.  

Marco Hinojosa is the audience and engagement editor and may be reached at [email protected]