UTEP women’s basketball falls short to Liberty University in last home game of the season

Emmanuel Rivas Valenzuela
Senior forward Jane Asinde soars for a layup.

UTEP women’s basketball took a loss to the Liberty University Flames in the Miners’ last home game. Senior forward Jane Asinde is among two other seniors on the roster, guard Mahri Petree and guard Erin Wilson. Even with the loss, Asinde led the team with 18 points, nine rebounds, and three assists, a record high for the Miners’ this season. Asinde spoke about her time at UTEP as well as the outcome of the game. 

“We didn’t do a really good job at rebounding the ball today, and the case for the game was to rebound and take care of the ball,” Asinde said. ” The journey has been amazing, and I’ve had to really explain the feeling right now, and the love the fans and my teammates have shown me; it’s been amazing.” 

Head coach of UTEP women’s basketball, Keitha Adams gave constructive thoughts about the Miners as well as praise for the Liberty University Flames performance.  

“First off, Liberty has a really good team and some really good shooters,” Adams said. “What killed us today was two things: we got beat on the boards and gave up 19 offensive rebounds, and when you give up offensive rebounds to a good team, you get your tail kicked.”  

Adams continued to explain the weaknesses of the Miners’ against the Flames. 

“We struggled scoring, and we controlled it for the first half, (but) they didn’t hit shots,” Adams said. “So, we were fortunate for the first half but needed to hit some shots, but we didn’t shoot the ball very well today.”  

However, there were many highlights from the Miners, including a career-best of 15 points from freshman forward Luisa Vydrova. Wilson also scored big, earning 12 points and five rebounds. The Miners finished with 39.7% shooting from the field and 75.0% from the charity stripe.  

UTEP was responsible for two blocks, three steals, eight assists and 23 rebounds.  

In the first quarter, UTEP had the lead with 21-9 and a 9-point assist from Vydrova, but with time and consistent shooting from the Flames, Liberty spread their fire quickly. The Flames lit up in the second quarter gaining the lead with 29-26. The half showed the Miners one block, two steals, 14 rebounds, five assists, with 40.7% shooting from the floor.  

In the third quarter, the Flames continued burning without an end in sight. They cooped up 12 points and a score of 56-44 by the end of the third quarter. Liberty’s shooting was consistent to the end of the game, giving them the competitive edge and winning with a final tally of 80-63.  

From the Flames freshman guard Asia Boone scored 25 points, with junior center Bella Smuda making 18 points. The team also shot 91.7% from the foul line and 44.6% from the field. UTEP will head to Miami March 7, against the Florida International Panthers for their final 2023-24 season game.  

Catching Marginot is a contributor and can be reached at [email protected]