Oakland Athletics hire Major League Baseball’s first female play by play announcer

Oakland Athletics announced that Jenny Cavnar would be the A’s full-time play by play announcer, making her the first woman to call balls and strikes for any organization in the history of Major League Baseball (MLB). Photo courtesy by Flickr

77 years ago, baseball’s color barrier was broken by none other than Jackie Robinson. Now, baseball once again leads the way in breaking another barrier. This time, that barrier was the glass ceiling. On Feb. 13, the Oakland Athletics announced that Jenny Cavnar would be the A’s full-time play by play announcer, making her the first woman to call balls and strikes for any organization in the history of Major League Baseball (MLB).  

Cavnar, who previously served as a reporter and analyst for MLB Network and AT&T Sportsnet, has been an accomplished broadcaster for years. She is a trailblazer for women in sports and has brought a fresh perspective to the traditionally male-dominated world of sports broadcasting. 

Fans and non-fans alike have been quick to share their opinions on the historic hire, with many expressing their joy and support for Cavnar. Melissa Lerma, 26, noted it is great to see a change in an industry dominated by men, but also feels it could be intimidating for women.  

“I feel like if that were me, I would always feel like I’m walking on eggshells and that I would be one mistake away from not being taken seriously,” Lerma said. 

Patty Franco, 42, a fan of the Colorado Rockies, where Cavnar most recently served as a backup play-by-play announcer and pre and postgame host for the Colorado Rockies, knows the significance behind the move.  

“I just feel that this is a historic moment for baseball and for women in sports,” Franco said. “Jenny is an incredible broadcaster, and I think that this is a major step forward for gender equality in sports broadcasting. I’m excited to see what she brings to the A’s broadcast, and I really hope that other teams will follow suit and hire more women, not just as announcers but also in other positions in organizations and hopefully not just in baseball.”  

Nobody is as excited as Cavnar herself.  

“It is a dream come true to join the broadcast team for the Oakland A’s and their rich baseball history,” Cavnar said in a statement to MLB.com.  

“Growing up the daughter of a baseball coach, I have loved the game from a young age, along with the stories, history and relationships the game provides.”  

Cavnar’s hiring has been met with overwhelmingly positive fan feedback. Many hope this is the beginning of a new era of diversity and inclusivity in sports broadcasting, where women and other underrepresented groups can have equal representation in the field. 

Cavnar, having now joined the long and growing list of woman trailblazers, recognized this significance how it would not have been possible without the women who came before her.  

“I share in the fact that there’s been so many other women before me who have carved out their opportunities and taken their trails and blazed them, and we’re just going to keep going.” Cavnar said in an interview with SiriusXM radio. 

As the A’s prepare for the upcoming season, fans will eagerly tune in to hear Cavnar’s historic full-time play-by-play debut. It’s a moment that will go down in history and will pave the way for future generations of female sports broadcasters. 

Jorge Guajardo is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]