7 things to do during spring break in El Paso

Sometimes+getting+away+from+home+means+hanging+out+with+your+friends+and+creating+memories+that+could+last+a+lifetime.++
Gianluca Cuevas
Sometimes getting away from home means hanging out with your friends and creating memories that could last a lifetime.

Spring break is rolling around the corner, and many students look forward to endless relaxation on the beach. While every student dreams of the perfect vacation, life often interferes. For students planning to stay in El Paso this upcoming spring break, fear not, this guide will help make the most of it.   

For those interested in the retro aesthetic and video games, RAD Retrocade is the perfect destination to experience both. Operating as a full kitchen, bar and arcade, RAD offers a glimpse into the pop culture from the ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s. The arcade contains pinball machines and arcade games dating back to the 70s in addition to modern gaming systems.  

From 2 p.m. to 7 p.m., the retrocade offers plenty of options for family friendly fun. Those 21 and over can enjoy a night of good food, gaming and more from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m.  

If video games don’t pique one’s interest, there are a variety of activities offered in downtown El Paso to choose from.  

“One thing I do enjoy a lot, and I don’t find a lot of people who agree, is you know downtown how you’re able to rent bikes?” said UTEP junior Miranda Luna. “Doing that and going up to the hill and (then) go down as fast as you can.”   

Anyone can rent a scooter or bike from the kiosks found in San Jacinto Plaza and throughout the downtown area. While with a group, this is a great way to travel from activity to activity with minimal hassle. In case people have never used an electric scooter before, beware of their speed. It should be advised that those less skilled in scooter operation can opt for a bike instead.  

The New York Gourmet Deli is a great place to try for the New York flavor without the travel expenses. Located downtown at 203 E Mills Ave., the deli is a one-stop shop providing everything from subs and snacks to items people would find at their nearest convenience store. Open until 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and until 3 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, the deli has become a weekend hotspot for many.  

There are also many alternative options for students looking for spring break amusement while on a budget. Simply exploring El Paso is an option that many overlook. 

UTEP freshmen Gwen Luera and Ethan Moore encourage students to visit Hueco Tanks and White Sands for the best hiking spots in and near El Paso.  

“El Paso’s not lame, there’s just nothing big going on,” Luera said.  

National and state parks such as these offer something for everyone.  

“National parks are always my favorite,” Moore said.  

Hueco Tanks welcomes hikers, rock climbers, stargazers and picnickers to connect with their environment. Only an hour and a half away, White Sands allows visitors to sled, cycle and hike. If a small getaway is the plan, renting a campsite can be one of the best stargazing experiences in New Mexico. 

The Keystone Heritage Park and the El Paso Desert Botanical Garden is inexpensive and allows visitors to view a variety of gardens, wetlands and archeological sites. Guests can walk through and explore the many different gardens and their properties while enjoying the outdoors.  

During the spring, the park hosts eco craft events where participants learn how to make sustainable DIY crafts. Admission to the park is $3for adults and $1 for children. 

Finally, all art lovers in the borderland should visit La Casa de Azucar located at 4301 Leavell Ave. Hidden in a residential area near highway 54, the private home is a sight for sore eyes. Decorated by the owner in colorful carvings inspired by Mexican churches, it has a sugar-like appearance, thus its name. Information on the house’s history is found online and in-person if anyone happens to meet the artist himself.  

Alyda Muela is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]; @aly.rose.photos on Instagram.