UTEP men’s basketball gets scratched by Sam Houston Bearkats

Guard+Corey+Camper+Jr.+dribbles+the+ball+while+being+closely+defended+by+a+Sam+Houston+player%2C+Feb.+24.++
Guard Corey Camper Jr. dribbles the ball while being closely defended by a Sam Houston player, Feb. 24.

UTEP had a busy Saturday as they unveiled the brand-new Don Haskins “The Bear” statue to the public in an all-out pep rally. At the unveiling of the statue, multiple UTEP Men’s Basketball teams throughout the decades were coached by Haskins were there. Unfortunately, this was not enough to spark a win for the UTEP Miners against the Sam Houston Bearkats hours after the event.  

The game had six lead changes and four ties in an end-of-game score of 65-54. The Miners had the lead on the Bearkats by one with only 14 minutes remaining in regulation, but with a 13-2point blast from the Bearkats, there was nothing UTEP could do to catch up.  

UTEP had 39.2% from the floor but was hindered by a readout of 27.3% on a three-point range. Even with the Miners holding Sam Houston to 29.4% from the three-point range, the Bearkats were still able to fill up to 47.7% overall. Junior guard Corey Camper Jr. scored seven points for the team, with freshman guard David Terrell Jr. also contributing six. Senior guard Zid Powell made a team-high six rebounds and hit double figures in scoring. Otis Frazier III also scored double figures with the highest points of 14 for the game.  

Head coach Joe Golding spoke to the performance of both teams, as well as what needs to be done for the Miners as the basketball season approaches its end.  

“That’s a good basketball team playing at a high level right now, and credit goes to them,” Golding said. 

“Coach Mudge did a terrific job with that team, and there is a reason they’re in first place, and we just couldn’t get in the rhythm offensively. I thought defensively we could guard them well, but we could not score the basketball”.  

Golding spoke of the struggle of getting to the foul line and the missed opportunities the Miners had offensively.  

“I think we’re going to the foul line looking to be fouled instead of demanding to be fouled,” Golding said. “There’s a physicality and a toughness to get fouled; you gotta be on balance and have to go through contact, and we’re still learning that.”  

UTEP had a lead in points in the paint (28-20) but had a tough time with free throws with a percentage of 57.1% (8-14). The game had a heated start, with a 6-6 tie seven minutes in, with each team’s defense at a high level. With a vicious back and forth and great chemistry from the Miners, the Bearkats still had the edge of 29-25 going into halftime. 

The Bearkats moved quickly, but a point rush from Powell and Terrell Jr. also helped the Miners move fast. Even with a clutch lay-up from junior forward Derick Hamilton and continued effort down the stretch, UTEP was ultimately defeated by Sam Houston. The Miners approach their final away games at Jax State and Liberty University.  

Miner Athletics provides all statistics. 

Catching Marginot is a contributor and can be reached at [email protected]