Tis the season of love with our favorite loves

The season of love is here, which means it is time to obsess over everything romantic. Whether you celebrate this holiday with a significant other or friends, we all need something to get us in the spirit of love and friendship.  

With countless amounts of romance movies, tv shows, books and music it can be hard to decide what exactly to watch, listen or read. Luckily, there are some perfect go-to romances that can make Valentines Day a bit sweeter.  

UTEP students shared and recommended their favorite romantic shows they use to celebrate and get into the holiday spirit and provide inspiration for those who may need it. 

“My favorite romance TV show is “Vampire Diaries” because I really think they’re cute and really like their relationship, they are my favorite couple,” said UTEP student Victoria Ferguson. 

Another popular choice among many students was “The Notebook.” 

“My favorite romance movie is “The Notebook” because I think it’s a really special romance and I like the connection the characters have,” said UTEP student Angela Chavez. 

UTEP student Julia Garcia shared her love for the film.     

“It’s so sweet and it is so cute! The way he (Noah Calhoun) would do anything for her (Allie Hamilton), he built her a house! I know it’s sad but still he built her a house and I love it,” Garcia said.  

Some students’ favorite romance films came from a place of reminiscing.   

“I really like the Kissing Booth because it’s relatable for me and reminds me of my past moments and university life,” said UTEP student Karla Diaz. 

Some other honorable mentions from students included classics like “Legally Blonde,” “10 things I Hate About,” “Clueless,” and “Romeo & Juliet.” As well as some Disney stories including “Tangled,” “Princess and the Frog,” and “Beauty and the Beast.” 

In my opinion, someone you can never go wrong with is the original hopeless romantic, Jane Austen. Her novels shaped the romantic period of literature and have managed to withstand the test of time and is still relevant in modern day pop culture. Austen’s novels have all been enjoyed by readers since they were first published and have been turned into several films for movie lovers. 

Whether it is a book or movie marathon, Austen’s universe makes a perfect Valentine’s Day activity. My personal favorites are “Pride and Prejudice,” “Emma” and “Sense and Sensibility” both the novels and  movies. It has drama, comedy, love and the happy endings which anyone can enjoy with their significant other, best friends, and family.  

I cannot think of love songs without thinking of Taylor Swift. Love songs can be found along her whole discography but for Valentine’s Day the “Lover” album is a personal go to for me with my favorite song being “Cornelia Street”. This album features songs that focus not only on romantic love but platonic and familial love as well.   

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner so remember to be prepared and start planning for the special day. Hopefully, these students’ favs can become some new go-to’s for when you need a pick me up and need to watch something sweet, cute and full of love.  

Ximena Cordero is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]