Romance and academics

While+the+combination+of+romance+and+education+seems+like+a+luxury%2C+some+students+prefer+to+not+be+in+a+relationship+so+they+can+strictly+focus+on+themselves+and+their+academics.+
Gianluca Cuevas
While the combination of romance and education seems like a luxury, some students prefer to not be in a relationship so they can strictly focus on themselves and their academics.

As the spring semester settles, every college student may feel like they have a lot on their plate. With love buzzing in the air, relationships are bound to be created or dismantled. Combining academics and a social life while including self-care can be difficult to manage, but it’s not impossible and a lot of students manage it and are successful.  

Collegiate years comprise of meeting new faces across campus, whether in a class or walking around. Pursuing a relationship while focusing on school can sometimes feel like it is too much to handle, but all it takes is a little determination and commitment.  

UTEP student Daniel Rios spoke about having multiple priorities and how balancing them would overwhelm him. He believes it takes drive to maintain a healthy relationship and good academic standing.  

“I’m aware of my responsibilities,” Rios said. “I had to learn how to focus on my school life a little harder after not getting the best grades, I knew I had to bounce back.” 

When Rios took his grades into consideration, he realized he had to make a change to better himself while keeping the love standing in his relationship with his girlfriend.  

“It takes a lot of determination and discipline but if you deeply love your partner and are serious about your schoolwork, don’t let go of the grind, it’s a process,” Rios said.  

While the combination of romance and education seems like a luxury, some students shared they prefer to not be in a relationship so they can strictly focus on themselves and their academics.  

UTEP student Brianna Guzman shares how she prioritizes school and her own well-being before anything else.  

“I came to college to get my degree,” Guzman said. “I can’t afford to freak out over a relationship because I already have so much to do in school and my job.”  

To stay on top of balancing school and a healthy relationship, determination plays a big roll. Some key tips for steadiness are to remember personal goals and continue to strive for that. Realize every college student is just as busy with their own work. Being in a relationship and in college calls for accommodation, attempt being flexible with romantic partners.  

Communication is vital, even beyond romantic relationships. Keeping a consistent form of contact with a partner allows the relationship to flow with honesty.  

To any individual who may feel they are falling behind in falling in love while being in college; know there is no rush for romance. UTEP student Marie Castro shares some advice with students who are searching for love in college.  

“Love will come your way when it is a part of your story,” Castro said. “Why rush and pour so much effort into a relationship when you can put all the focus into your priorities from classes.”  

The secret to stability amongst a love life and college is consistent communication, knowing goals and having the drive to tackle priorities.   

Marco Hinojosa is the audience and engagement editor and may be reached at [email protected]