Women’s basketball loses third straight game at the hands of I-10 rivals

Photo Courtesy of UTEP Athletics
UTEP falls to NMSU at the Pan Am Center on Feb. 10.

The UTEP women’s basketball team (8-14, C-USA 3-6) faced its third straight loss to I-10 rival New Mexico State University Aggies (NMSU) (10-12, C-USA 4-5).  

After losses to Jax State (8-12, C-USA 3-4) and Liberty University (8-13, C-USA 3-5) on the road, the Miners hoped to close its road stint to NMSU. Unfortunately, a slow start placed UTEP in an uncomfortable position. 

The Aggies put the game out of reach early, ending the first quarter with a score of 19-9. The Miners attempted to close the score after scoring 16 points in the second quarter, but the Aggies continued the hot streak from the first quarter, scoring an additional 20 points in the second. 

The score at the half was an overwhelming 39-25. 

UTEP outscored the Aggies 14-10 in the third quarter thanks to a team effort with senior forward Jane Asinde, senior guard Mahri Petree and senior guard Erin Wilson leading the push. This push would not be enough to close the gap as the Miners entered the fourth quarter down 49-39. 

The final quarter saw the Miners fight to get within four points of a tie. A layup by freshman guard Aaliyah Stanton helped keep the game within reach for UTEP with 52 seconds left in the game. 

However, after a series of trips to the free-throw line, the Aggies managed to seal the game away with final score of 66-59. 

Three Miners scored double-digit points in Saturday’s loss to New Mexico State. Petree scored 18 points in her 34 minutes of play. Wilson scored 12 points in 26 minutes and Asinde scored 11 in 29 minutes.  

Meanwhile, the Aggies’ Jaila Harding led her team after scoring 16 points with Molly Kaiser close behind in points, scoring 15 points. 

UTEP managed to edge out NMSU in field goal percentage with .417 versus .383, but the Aggies would beat out the Miners in every other key metric. 

UTEP heads home to the Don Haskins Center to take on the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (15-10, C-USA 6-4) at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb 15. 

Emmanuel Rivas Valenzuela Armendariz is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]: @rivasemmanuel2 on Instagram.