Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

Be my ‘fluffy’ Valentine

A+fluffy+furry+friend+surrounded+by+Valentines+Day+decor+brings+a+wagging+tail+and+heartwarming+charm+to+the+holiday+season.+
SalmaPaola Baca
A fluffy furry friend surrounded by Valentine’s Day decor brings a wagging tail and heartwarming charm to the holiday season.

As Valentine’s Day approaches, the focus naturally turns to expressions of love and affection for romantic partners. However, for many, a pet’s unwavering companionship and unconditional love can also holds a special place in  people’s  hearts.    

According to a National Library of Medicine journal, interacting with pets has been shown to trigger several physiological benefits that contribute to reducing symptoms of mental health issues. One significant benefit is the release of oxytocin, often called the “love” or “bonding” hormone, which is released during positive interactions and is associated with feelings of trust, empathy and relaxation.   

As little as 15 minutes of petting a fuzzy friend significantly increases oxytocin levels in humans and dogs, which can help alleviate symptoms of anxiety and depression by promoting calmness and emotional well-being. Additionally, the rhythmic and repetitive actions involved in pet care, such as grooming or walking, have a calming effect on the nervous system.  

Junior marketing major, Mario Garcia, says he finds himself in double trouble with his two ferrets, Chico and Bella, but still has double the unconditional love for each one.   

“Animals are not afraid to share their true feelings, (whereas) a person, they tend to hide it or not fully show what they want to show,” Garcia said. “You somehow see yourself in them, and you find that connection, and you see the similarities, and I guess you treat them like your own child.”   

Garcia also elaborates on how pets can help with mental health.   

“I feel like pets give you some sort of dopamine because of their cuteness, and I think that helps a lot,” Garcia said. “Like for depression, it helps your anxiety. It helps you calm down, not that you’re relying on that, but it’s something that helps you without you even thinking.”  

One notable benefit of owning a pet is increased physical activity. A study by the American Heart Association found that pet owners meet recommended physical activity levels more frequently than non-pet owners. Studies have also shown that pet owners have a decrease in lower blood pressure and reduced risk for heart disease.    

Junior electrical engineering major, Valeria Arellano, sees the unique distinction between pet relationships through her family’s dog, Tommy.   

“I think the relationship between pets and humans has to rely solely on physical things because they can’t communicate the way that like you would communicate to your boyfriend or girlfriend,” Arellano said. “I think Valentine’s Day in particular, if you don’t have someone, you have your pet with you.”   

Arellano encouraged others to highlight the significance of a pet’s presence during the holidays, like Valentine’s Day.   

Reduced feelings of loneliness, enhanced social support, companionship, and a sense of purpose and more are all ways that pets can positively impact mental health.   

Senior mechanical engineering major Alejandro Gonzalez has great company through his horse, Palomo, where he considers him part of the family.   

“It’s just like having another person there with you,” Gonzalez said. “Like sometimes, your pet is your confidant. Your pet is the person you confide in, and it’s the person that’s there when no one else is.”   

As people celebrate Valentine’s Day and reflect on the many forms of love in their lives, it is important to recognize the role pets play in humans’ well-being. Beyond mere companionship, love of furry friends is a profound source of comfort, joy and emotional support.   

They are not just pets but cherished companions who enrich lives immeasurably, reminding people that love knows no bounds.    

SalmaPaola Baca is a staff photographer and may be reached at [email protected].