Mental Health Matters: Advice from fellow UTEP students

Being a university student is no easy task with endless amounts of assignments, essays, readings, Blackboard discussions, quizzes and exams. It is a cycle that can be hard to grasp onto whether students are freshman experiencing university life for the first time or seniors about to graduate.  

In addition, many are far more than just university students; there are other responsibilities like jobs, relationships and extracurriculars that must find their place in a student’s busy life. It can be hard for many students to find free time to unwind from these packed schedules.  

Many students share similar struggles or have issues they have had to overcome in college to continue being hopeful as they navigate academic careers.  

“I tend to focus a lot of the little things in my work and overwork myself in my classes even though I don’t really need to,” said UTEP student Camila Espejo. “I’m always stressed, I’m always doing homework, it affects me because I get burned out.” 

Even though Espejo says even though she is actively trying to alleviate her anxiety, she has found one thing that helps her relax and brings her hope on stressful days. 

“I go out with my boyfriend or friends and family, I try to just sit down and not do anything, or journal, just those type of things to get my mind off work,” Espejo said. 

UTEP student Esteban Corona has had to learn to balance school and work and shared a piece of advice for other students.  

“Balancing work and school, I have worked ever since I have been out of high school, I’ve gotten better at it, but it is really hard to find that balance,” Corona said. “Reflect on the past semester, you can always learn from what you have done. Worry about yourself and figure out your own life.” 

UTEP student Felix Chidi shared his struggles with anxiety over exams and the challenge of being a student that started college later in life.  

“I have high anxiety when it comes to taking exams, it bothers me a lot, I get anxious and out of my mind basically,” Chidi said. “I started school late, I was almost 30 when I got my GED, and it took me a long time to get my associate degree. That second guessing of self and insecurity in thinking if I’m good enough or belong in college gives me problems.” 

Over time Chidi has developed ways to overcome his struggles and be more hopeful about university life. 

“A simple one is pausing and taking a breath or listening to music to calm myself down and I show myself that I belong here, and I can do it,” Chidi said. “Make the most of the time you have now because this is the best time to do it, the longer you wait, the more responsibility you have and the harder it is to manage college.” 

My own piece of advice is to take it day by day and week by week. It is always good to be prepared but that does not mean everything you need to do for the next month should be crammed in your head. Remember to take a break to enjoy yourself, whether that is doing something you enjoy like going out with your loved ones, or simply doing nothing at all. Talk to the people around you like friends, family or students and professors who can relate and understand what you are going through.  

Never hesitate to reach out for help, through The Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), UTEP offers many different services to students and can be reached at (915) 747-5302 and [email protected].   

Ximena Cordero is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]