Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

‘Saviors’ is saving rock

Green+Day+was+formed+in+1987+and+released+their+13th+studio+album+%E2%80%9CSaviors%E2%80%9D+on+Jan.+19%2C+2024.+
Photo courtesy of DeviantArt
Green Day was formed in 1987 and released their 13th studio album “Saviors” on Jan. 19, 2024.

Only two and a half weeks into the new year and already dozens of artists have released new albums to help bring in 2024. However, some artists stand out amongst the rest given their decades-long music industry career. American rock band, Green Day, has just graced the punk rock scene with their latest album “Saviors.”  

Comprised of lead singer and guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong, bassist Mike Dirnt and drummer Tré Cool, the band has been making rock hits for the public since 1987 and continues to do so with their most recent release. Here is a breakdown of each track based on its status as singles, standouts, and insightful listens.  

Singles 

Kicking off the album is “The American Dream Is Killing Me,” a song that acts as a commentary on the current state of political affairs in the United States. Accompanying the heavy lyrics is an instrumental that is directly reminiscent of an earlier Green Day sound. The band questions the concept of “The American Dream” by bringing up topics like poverty, unemployment rates and gentrification in their verses. It sets the tone and theme for the rest of the album musically and lyrically. 

For the second track on “Saviors,” Armstrong sings about a man living like a basket case while desperately craving acknowledgment and comfort in “Look Ma, No Brains!” There is a fast-paced drum beat and consistent electric guitar to accompany the restlessness of the narrator’s spirit. The song and its title act as a cry for help and a form of self-deprecation. 

In the next single “Bobby Sox,” the mellow introductory chords of the guitar act as the buildup to an incredibly energetic love song. Each verse has lyrics that paint the picture of an affectionate and healthy relationship while also switching between the pronouns of the partner being addressed. This is the reason that Armstrong refers to this piece as a “queer singalong” in a interview with the LA Times. The music video for this song is also special since it visually takes listeners back to Green Day’s Bay Area Punk scene roots.  

The fourth track off this new album is incredibly similar to one of the band’s most famous songs, “Holiday.” Instrumentally, the similarities in “One Eyed Bastard” are uncanny but also nostalgic. There is a classic rock sound to the drums and guitar and the vocals carry a chant like nature to them in the same fashion as “Holiday.” This piece will be a special treat for long-time fans. 

Like “Bobby Sox,” “Dilemma” follows the musical pattern of simple vocals and instrumental that transitions into a traditional punk sound. Compared to the wholesome lyrics of the former though, this song features the darker concepts of addiction. The music matches this and immerses the listener in a completely different way.  

Standouts 

Some songs that carry an incredible lyrical or musical impact on the album can branch across from more rock heavy songs to gentler ballads.  

“1981” functions as a piece that has lyrical focus in a time that was politically relevant to the U.S. Armstrong sings about an unnamed woman rocking out to music in the 1980’s while referencing relevant historical events like the Cold War, fears of communism and Russian espionage. The rock sound and memorable chorus fit the style of many classic rock songs of the time.  

Another track that fits the classic rock n’ roll sound of the ‘80s is “Corvette Summer.” It encapsulates the goals of the band and the music they make. Each lyric touches on how Green Day wants to be impacted by music and impact people with their music.   

In a ballad that has roots in Armstrong’s own anxieties with fatherhood, “Father to a Son” is a love letter full of promises. The melodies are sweet and if stripped down could easily work as a touching lullaby. This track is incredibly personal and can be felt not only in the lyrics, but in the passion of the guitar, bass and drums.  

Title track “Saviors” follows the general theme of national grief but is now paired with a hopeful instrumental and vocals. This piece stands out as it leaves listeners with a sense of optimism that can be matched by a foot-tapping and head-banging beat. The music break after the bridge also solidifies the theme of this piece and the album. 

Insightful Listens 

Many other songs on the album will either leave people reminiscing or critically thinking about the society they live in.  

Tracks that follow the story of heartbreak and hardships like “Goodnight Adeline” and “Suzie Chapstick” are perfect for listeners who are in a somber mood and want to enjoy softer rock tunes. Others like “Coma City,” “Strange Days Are Here to Stay” and “Fancy Sauce” are more insightful and follow the band’s hard-hitting lyrical commentary matched with energetic punk sounds. 

Altogether the album deserves eight out of ten stars. The instrumentation, vocals and lyrics present a strong message and maintain the consistent talent that Green Day has shared with the public for decades. While the general flow of the album can feel repetitive at times, it is still a work that contains tremendous heart and soul, just as all great rock does.   

Meagan Garcia is the arts & culture editor and may be reached at [email protected].