Just my sports editor introduction

My favorite thing about sports is the ability to enjoy it both as an athlete and as a fan. What makes sports interesting is the variety, as one is almost guaranteed to find something they will enjoy.  I wanted to further that passion as the new sports editor for The Prospector. 

Cross country gave me the sports bug; the need to work out harder, run faster and simply be a physically better version of myself emerged from my years running at Cathedral High School. 

For most of my elementary and middle school years, I played soccer and basketball; as a young kid these were more for fun, and it wasn’t until my older brother joined the track team at Cathedral that I considered running. It’s safe to say that running cross country and track gave me the outlet I needed at the time. It was something to work hard at, and something I could be proud of.  

I went to a state competition for cross country in 2017, placing second as a team, and earning my letter. That was a major milestone for me, because wearing the letterman was a sign of respect, showing that I accomplished something special. 

My senior year began in 2019, and I pushed myself hard; this was the most memorable season for me because of that. I put in the time and effort, and by the end of it all, I was happy with the result. 

Track season began in 2020, but was cut short due to the pandemic, not only bringing an abrupt end to my high school running career, but a rough start to my first year at UTEP, as all my classes were online. 

I was initially majoring in mechanical engineering, but it wasn’t until classes began on campus that I questioned my decision, ultimately switching to history in the fall 2022 semester, and I haven’t looked back. 

My interest in history was somewhat related to my interest in cars. For as long as I can remember, I’ve always wanted a classic car, something you don’t see every day. The more I learned about cars, I realized in college that I had been studying their history, not how they were made. 

I am minoring in commercial music, which might seem out there for a history major, but music has been an interest of mine from a young age. From second grade up through eighth grade, I took piano lessons. 

I picked up the guitar in middle school, but I didn’t stick to lessons for long. I picked it up again a year later and began to teach myself, listening to my guitar heroes to find my style: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan and John Mayer.  

With my major, I hope to teach at the high school level, although I plan to continue my degree to teach at a university. My minor will help me as I would like to eventually release and produce my music on the side when I earn my bachelor’s degree. 

I initially came to the Prospector in the spring 2023 semester to see what journalism was like, and not only have I earned a greater respect for those who work in journalism, but I also made great friends through my position here. 

I credit my position here for giving me many opportunities that I otherwise would not have had, and I hope to accomplish much more through as the new sports editor. 

Nicholas Maes is the sports editor and may be reached at [email protected]