Is graduating college a gateway into anxiety?

Job+searching+is+one+of+the+biggest+contributing+factors+to+graduation+anxiety+as+students+enter+a+competitive+job+market.++
Job searching is one of the biggest contributing factors to graduation anxiety as students enter a competitive job market.

While graduates prepare for their big day, some may be thinking more about what comes after. Jobs, responsibilities, and ‘adulting’ are few of the things graduates think about when it comes to life after college, which may cause stress and anxiety. Some studies say around 35 percent of graduates around the world have suffered from anxiety that stem from the same factors. Though graduation can be stressful, there are ways to prevent it from being a stressful day. 

Job searching may be one of the biggest contributing factors to graduation anxiety as students enter a competitive job market. It can be tough, but some students have decided to take their past experiences and apply it to the real world. 

“I’m preparing for finding a job after graduation by utilizing my network. I feel like after working since I was 18-years-old; I met a lot of people, and recently with the opportunities that I’ve experienced during the last two years of my life, I have definitely created momentum in my math career,” said Lauren Rodriguez, a mathematics major with a concentration in data science at UTEP. “So that’s what I’m doing right now. I know that the more jobs that I apply for, the more of a chance that I have at getting a yes or getting a follow up or an interview.” 

Reflecting on one’s experience in college is one of the things some seniors have done to make graduation a little easier for them. Entering the workforce can be a scary transition, and leaving the familiar student life can have an equal effect. As some UTEP students get closer to the day of commencement, remembering classmates and preparing to start a new life can be troubling. 

“It’s definitely bittersweet having to say ‘see you later’ to the friendships I’ve made. I personally love school, so leaving feels foreign,” said UTEP student Angelica Valdez. “After graduating I plan on getting my MBA still with UTEP and staying with the Electric Company with the department of Talent Strategy. Parts of me are ready to leave my undergrad behind, but other parts ache at the idea.” 

Graduation anxiety is a real problem for some graduates and can affect every student. Handling adult responsibilities can be a bit confusing at first. From loans to bills, there are plenty of things that a student has to take care of after graduating. 

“I have to be prepared for responsibilities like loans or bills because I already have loans and bills that I have to worry about. (I’m) getting into the mindset of being prepared for that, looking at the math and how much I can afford to spend on everything else,” Rodriguez said. “I should go to graduate school right after I graduate with my bachelor’s, not to lose that momentum. But honestly, I definitely need to change my lifestyle right now, and I’m looking forward to joining the workforce and getting some experience in my degree.” 

Elisha Nuñez is a staff reporter and can be reached at [email protected]