Radiant and representative: Graduation fits for students’ special day

Mariah+Alvarez+is+a+graduate+student+at+UTEP+studying+public+health.+
Iziah Moreno
Mariah Alvarez is a graduate student at UTEP studying public health.

As UTEP’s graduation ceremony approaches, seniors are getting their outfits ready for the big day. From formal to reflective, graduating students choose outfits with different meanings.  

Whether it comes to the outfit design or how it stands for a person’s personality, the importance of graduation outfits varies from graduate to graduate.   

One of those upcoming graduates is Mariah Alvarez Ramirez, who is studying public health at UTEP.  

With graduation approaching in December, Ramirez says she is tying her outfit into the holiday theme by wearing a red lace dress. In addition to the dress, Ramirez plans to wear a charm bracelet that features her grandparents and other family members on it, all of whom have been a part of her journey to graduation.  

“I was a little excited that graduation is going to be in December, so to kind of follow the holiday theme. I’m planning on wearing a red lace dress,” Ramirez said. “I have a family bracelet and I have charms for my grandparents and basically, it just signifies family.”    

With her outfit ready, Ramirez is prepared to take the stage in this year’s fall commencement ceremony alongside her fellow graduates. As the day approaches, Ramirez has had time to reflect on her journey and what exactly a graduation outfit means to not just her, but graduates across the world.  

Alvarez is wearing a red dress, tying into the holiday season. (Iziah Moreno)

“So, this time around with my master’s, I’m really looking forward to it and I kind of got to reminisce the significance of graduation,” Ramirez said. “It’s just taking pride in all the hard work you’ve done. It’s commemorating all the hard work over all the years and putting it into one look and being proud.” Like Ramirez, Luis Sebastian Bueno has also prepared his graduation day outfit. As a psychology major, Bueno recounts how some of the professionals in his department dress in ways that reflect their style and personality. For the big day, Bueno’s outfit consists of black, pleated high water pants, a pullover, a white polo undershirt and Lakai skateboarding shoes, all indicative of his skater psyche.   

As commencement approaches, Bueno has prepared an outfit that reflects himself and believes the ceremony gives him time to show off his interests and celebrate the time he spent to get his degree.  

“I think it’s more what represents you. Being part of the psychology department, there are a lot of professors that have really distinctive dress. I’m not sure if you know who this is, but her name is Anna Schwartz (Ph.D). Her style is really nice, it’s not your typical style,” Bueno said. “I really like the idea that when you graduate, you should be wearing something that you feel confident in. I feel you should wear something that you’re going to look nice in. I think it should be tasteful towards your own personality.”  

Overall, graduation is a time to celebrate one’s achievements and journey to getting their degree. According to some students, it is also a day to show who they have been during that time. Whether it’s formal, fashionable or both, students say that every graduation ceremony is a time to shine in an outfit that makes them feel like themselves.  

Elisha Nunez is a staff reporter and can be reached at [email protected]