In case I don’t see you, good afternoon, good evening and goodnight

Elisha Nuñez

I remember my summer break of 2021. I just got back from a vacation in Florida, and was relaxing, trying to see what I could do during my spare time. After browsing the internet and social media, I found out that one of my high school friends was working at the campus newspaper, The Prospector. I had never heard of it until then and was pleasantly surprised to know that there was a resource at UTEP that could give me the experience I needed for my degree and future.  

I messaged my friend, Julia on Instagram and asked her what the process was for applying for a position. She told me about the application on Mine Tracker and told me to apply. I was nervous, but I went for it. After a talk with some of the staff at The Prospector, I secured my position as a contributor. Two years later, here I am writing my last story. 

Time flies by super-fast! We all know it, but we never acknowledge it until we look back. It seems like just yesterday I was registering for my first UTEP classes. Seeing Calculus II and Physics made me sick to my stomach, which is why I chose to study multimedia journalism instead. It was at that time, as a 17-year-old, I had my first mid-life crisis. What was I going to study if all I had worked towards in high school was engineering? How could I find a job that I would enjoy and pay me well? Well, like I said, the answer was journalism.  

I had always liked writing in school, and I remember always excelling amongst my classmates in my English and writing classes. For me, journalism was a method to execute my creativity and love for writing. Unbeknownst to me, it was also a way to make friends. 

Starting college during the pandemic was probably the hardest point in my life. Being forcibly isolated from friends and slowly losing them was terrible, and I remember some days just feeling nothing. That all changed after I made some friends from Student Media and Publications. Starting off, I barely knew anyone in the office because I was a contributor, and my other job never gave me the extra time to come in for meetings and other events the team would have. After being promoted to a staff reporter in the fall of 2022, I started to enjoy my time at The Prospector a little more. 

Though it took a year, it felt like it was meant to be. I started mingling with other students while writing for The Prospector, and some from our sister publication Minero Magazine. I remember laughing, bonding and talking about things that I thought only I was interested in and no one else would have the smallest interest in. I did it. I made friends in college, some of whom I still talk to today. 

The Prospector not only helped me socially, but it helped me professionally. During my time at UTEP, I was able to complete two internships along the way, one at The Texas Observer in Austin and the other at The San Antonio Express-News in San Antonio. Both were super fun, and I met some great people at both. Because of my time writing for The Prospector, I was able to experience a newsroom before going into two others outside of El Paso. It helped me discover what I love writing about and prepare me for what is to come. 

While I did not get to reach certain goals I set for myself at The Prospector, I am grateful to have completed many more. Thanks to the support of family and friends, I was able to do so much. I am going to miss my time laughing with other students in the office and our useless debates about cinema or music. I would not want it any other way.  

To my editors, writers and photographers, both from The Prospector and Minero Magazine, who I spent birthdays, hangouts and a hiking trip with. To the reporters whom I just started talking to this semester but found out we had a lot more in common. To the ones in charge who helped me and worked closely with my writing. To all of you who were there with me and for me, thank you.

Elisha Nunez was a staff reporter and may not be reached at [email protected]