Will you be voting in the 2024 Presidential Election?

UTEP rifle concludes fall season with loss to OSU

The+Miners+finished+the+battle+with+three+of+four+members+being+ranked+in+the+top+10+individuals+of+the+competition.++
The Miners finished the battle with three of four members being ranked in the top 10 individuals of the competition.

The UTEP women’s rifle team concluded their fall season with multiple matches against the Ohio State University Buckeyes at the UTEP Rifle Range. 

UTEP welcomed the Buckeyes rifle team for a two-day showdown at the Military Science building.   

To end the first day of matches, UTEP worked up a 4591 aggregate, just shy under Ohio State’s final 4702 aggregate.   

While the Miners fell short to OSU, Roxanne Keel led the team with an 1161 aggregate. Keel also shot a new personal best smallbore score of 573. In second place, Isabella Rios performs with an aggregate of 1151.  

The UTEP rifle team pushing through, OSU’s team claimed victory Nov. 18, after Ohio State’s Paige Hollowell performance resulted in her ranking first place in smallbore with a score of 586.  

OSU’s Victor Kiss reaches victory in the air rifle section with a score of 596. Hollowell and Kiss both ended the first day of the competition with a score of 1800.   

UTEP ranked second place, Nov. 19, behind Ohio State after a 128-aggregate difference. OSU completed with a score of 4712 and UTEP with 4584.   

UTEP rifle star Isabel Brooks completed and lead the smallbore portion with a 576 aggregate.   

Isabella Rios fired a 586 in air rifle, her new personal best. The Miners squad showed dominance and passion completing the smallbore with a score of 2269.   

The team then pulled through a tight race against Ohio State in the air rifle portion. Rios ruled the air rifle half, she ended the day with 586, and an overall 1154 aggregate.   

The Miners finished the battle with three of four members being ranked in the top 10 individuals of this competition.   

The OSU Buckeyes continued to persevere at the range, completing the smallbore section with a score of 2337. Derek Keiser carried the teams smallbore total with 590 points. Hollowell once again remains victorious after completing the air rifle portion with a final score of 596.  

With the rifle season coming to a close, the team announces their return to the range in the upcoming spring season. UTEP will host Nebraska from Jan. 27 to Jan. 28 at the UTEP Rifle Range.

All stats courtesy of UTEP Athletics and utepminers.com. 

Marco Hinojosa is the audience and engagement editor and may be reached at [email protected]