Goodbye. Don’t cry! Because I won’t

Michelle Hernandez

Reflecting on my college journey, it has been quite a ride. I started at EPCC aiming to be a kindergarten teacher, but soon realized that was not for me. Next was architecture, but math and I did not click. It was not until I got to UTEP and dove into media advertising with a minor in graphic design that everything clicked. I discovered my love for chatting it up, leading the pack, and getting those creative juices flowing.   

My journey at UTEP made me feel at home when I started making friends, attending UTEP events, and joining student organizations. With UTEP Lombardi Racing, I kicked off the media department from scratch, juggling social media, snapping pictures and videos at events, and sprucing up their website. I still might not know anything about engineering, but I was left with more passion for my career.   

Then there’s UTEP Student AdFed, which was a game changer for me. I climbed the ranks from VP to president, and now I am dishing out advice as a student advisor. This club has been like a mini advertising world where I got to experience the world of marketing campaigns, networking with people from UTEP’s Communication Department, and a lot of cool projects. This is also where I met my best friend Sofia and the people who inspired me and mentored me during these years.   

My time as a web and social media editor for UTEP’s Minero Magazine was short, but it was so much fun, and I learned so much. It was my first real taste of the field of media and publications. I had the opportunity to mix promoting the magazine with some out-of-the-box thinking and camera time. “This week at Minero,” along with Yoali, Minero’s editor-in-chief, was the best part of my last semester at UTEP. It helped me realize how much I love being on camera and interacting with people. All my projects and ideas at UTEP Student Media and Publications were supported and helped me grow. I always felt comfortable voicing my ideas and knowing that having a “crazy idea” was never too crazy to accomplish. I always felt like my visions were supported.

Stepping into the dynamic realm of advertising, I am thrilled to embrace the challenges and opportunities that await me at MonsterLink Marketing, where I will be taking on a full-time position this upcoming January after finishing my recent experience as a social media manager in December. It is the place where I have been shaping my skills and passion for the evolving world of digital marketing. Beyond the corporate landscape, I am eager to dream of becoming an actor someday or becoming a celebrity with my art and my success.    

I want to give a big shoutout to Yoali for letting me be a part of Minero Magazine and always being up for my wild ideas. You will always be a big inspiration to me, and my favorite cohost. To Crystal and Vero, thank you for helping me grow and navigate through this short journey. And to my mentors, Professor Sondra, Professor Cochran, and Professor Giangiulio – you have been my guide during my career and was always there with the right advice at the right time. Last but not least, to my mom, stepdad and sister. You have been my cheerleaders while always pushing me to chase what I love, no matter what that is, you forever pushed me to become the best version of myself every day.    

Four years, three majors, life-lasting friends, a pandemic, uncountable essays and projects, X-acto knife finger cuts, countless hours at the library, and many sleepless nights later, I have nothing but one of the best life experiences at UTEP, where I feel that I have left a part of me in everything that I do, which makes it even more worthy.  As Yoali and I used to say at the office all the time, may all your delulus come trululus.   

Michelle Hernadez is a guest contributor and may not be reached

View Comments (1)
Michelle Hernandez, Guest Contributor