The Rhinos break ice before freezing up for two weekend games

Gianluca Cuevas
Wranglers player celebrates as he scores a goal

The El Paso Rhinos recently battled the Amarillo Wranglers out on the ice in two back-to-back Thanksgiving weekend games.  

Even in the endless cold of the stadium, fans were able to band together to cheer on the Rhinos in an exciting showcase at the County Events Center near the El Paso County Coliseum Complex.  

In the first game of the weekend, the Rhinos took the win after a stalemate broke with a final score of 2-1. After a victorious win was celebrated by the fans and the team, the Rhinos unfortunately lost its second game to the Wranglers 3-2 after an overtime period was played.  

El Paso Rhinos Hockey fan Ramón Tejada comments on the Rhinos Saturday loss.   

“I come to every game and there’s NA3HL and NA3, and it was a hard game today,” Tejada said. “I like the way that they just keep attacking and they don’t get tired, they just keep on going at it. I just hope they make it to the playoffs.”   

The Rhinos took an early game lead from a goal by defenseman Tim Mathys. Goalie Kael Bepape defended the second period impressively without a single Wrangler goal. Regulation came to an end with center and right-wing Corson Mcguire scoring a point for the Wranglers, sending the game into overtime with a score of 1-1. Forward Camden Bajzer broke the stalemate for the Rhinos, getting the game one win with a final score of 2-1.   

In the second game of the weekend, the heat was turned to an all-time high with the Wranglers scoring the first goal of the night. The Wranglers had a 1-0 lead throughout the game before Rhinos forward A.J. Reed tied the game in the nick of time. 

Rhinos forward Tory Lund soon helped take the lead. After an intense back and forth, the Wranglers tied the game in the third period with 23 seconds left. After more intensity the Wranglers took the win 3-2.   

El Paso now sits in second place behind Lone Star Brahmas in the Southern Division with a record of 12-8-1-1. 

El Paso returns to the El Paso County Coliseum Complex at 7 p.m.  Dec. 8 and Dec. 9 to take on the New Mexico Ice Wolves. 

H. Catching Marginot is a staff reporter and can be reached at [email protected]