Basketball dunks on other sports

Growing up I never cared much for sports, watching or playing. For the longest time, the closest I had gotten to a field was “manager” for the girls’ soccer team in middle school. Baseball took too long, El Paso seemed too hot for hockey and football had too many complicated rules. Despite my pickiness with each sport’s entertainment value, there was one that stood out amongst the rest.  

Basketball missed every grievance that I had before. It was a fast-paced game, the rules were easy to follow and more than anything, it was fun.   

Now, I do not say these things to undermine other sports, obviously, each has a different meaning for the people that play or enjoy them. For me, basketball offers a lot to communities across the country and serves as a form of nostalgia for my childhood and adolescence.  

In terms of what it does for people, basketball is a sport that is widely accessible and acts as a great form of youth bonding. An article by Quality Hoops and Healthline list some of this sport’s advantages including how it provides good exercise for those playing as well a safe space for children, in particular to grow their communication skills and confidence.  

I especially appreciate how people do not necessarily have to be a part of a team in order to play. Of course, there are city-based teams and those that are school sanctioned, some parks and school yards provide proper equipment for anyone to come together and shoot hoops in a casual way.  

While I greatly appreciate these things, they are not the main reasons that I love the sport. I cannot claim to be a dedicated fan of any team or passionate about the sport in that professional league way. However, I do not think that in any way discounts my admiration for the sport.  

I love basketball above all other sports because it is something I played, although clumsily, as a little girl with my loved ones.   

When I was a child, my grandpa bought me a basketball and set up a small board and hoop for me in the backyard. He taught me how to hold the ball and where to aim on the board in order to make a shot. As soon as my brother was big enough to play, I helped my grandpa teach him the same tricks.  

Then I was old enough to play more childish versions of it with friends at school.   

None of the coaches expected a bunch of third graders to follow the rules of the actual game, so we ended up playing variations of it. Whether it was “around the world” or “sharks and minnows,” I remember it bringing out everyone’s innocent competitive nature.  

Eventually I became a teenager and switched from being on the court to watching from the stands.   

Throughout high school my best friend and I would go to the girls’ and boys’ basketball games as a way to pass time or support our friends who were on the team. Not only was it another way for us to spend time together, but we were so entertained by how exciting each game felt. It gave us a sense of school spirit being able to see our teams win.  

As a college student I do not have as much time to support our Miners at their games, but my love for the sport still stands. Basketball does not only act as a great sport for the community, but it reminds me of my grandpa’s guidance, childhood comradery and my best friend. So, I am definitely excited for this upcoming season. 

Meagan Garcia is the arts & culture editor and may be reached at [email protected].