Volleyball brings fright during upcoming Homecoming game

UTEP+volleyball+will+play+their+first+game+on+Halloween+since+2014+and+will+be+held+at+Memorial+Gym+at+6pm.+Photo+courtesy+of+UTEP+athletics%2FThe+Prospector+
UTEP volleyball will play their first game on Halloween since 2014 and will be held at Memorial Gym at 6pm. Photo courtesy of UTEP athletics/The Prospector

Halloween brings the joys of trick-or-treating and pumpkin carving, many of which take place on Oct. 31. While those things on that day are fairly common, a volleyball game that looks to be full of spikes and kills is an added twist to an already spooky day.  

The UTEP volleyball team will play their first game on Halloween since 2014. They will be coming off back-to-back road games against Middle Tennessee on Oct. 27 and Oct. 28.   

The team’s 7-0 home record is tied for best in the conference. They will look to bring the scares while extending their undefeated home streak against out of conference foe Chicago State who will be coming off an away game against New Mexico State, the previous day. 

Middle blocker Danika Washington and setter Kalia Kohler both recently earned Conference USA player of the week honors with Washington being named C-USA defensive player of the week and Kohler being named C-USA freshman of the week.  

UTEP student and volleyball fan Rosa Maria Sanchez speaks on the idea of attending the Halloween game and what makes it interesting.   

“I wouldn’t mind coming to a game; I love coming to a game.” Sanchez said. “I think it being on Halloween is fun. I know a lot of the parents take their kids trick-or-treating and stuff, but I would prefer to come to a game.” 

The Halloween game will be held at 6pm on Oct. 31 at the Memorial Gym and will be streamed on ESPN+  

Joel Molina is a photographer and can be reached at [email protected]