Podcasts: The only thing scary is the lack of creativity

I think society has reached a point where everything needs to be recorded. Back then, it would only be funny moments or mishaps, now it can be a conversation with your friend about your favorite menu item at Chili’s and you can post it online as a “podcast”. Not only that, but ever since sharing opinions on the internet became a thing, people have started to share too much about themselves. Like the famous Twitter (or now X though nobody wants to call it that) meme, we should all know each other a little less. 

I can admit, I am a fan of some podcasts. Things like scary stories, true crime, and celebrity interviews all have me sitting back with my noise-canceling headphones. Then, when I take a stroll among Instagram stories I see people, mostly guys who wear their brim caps backwards or who have a pencil mustache, throwing up a peace sign with a mic behind them and the words “First Episode Coming Soon” above them. 

This might just be me, but I am tired of listening to the “masculine advice” of some and the misogynistic thoughts on women that follow. Not all guys suffer from these condescending traits luckily, but it is safe to say that for the ones who do, please do not share your thoughts on the internet. 

Unlike this certain podcast population, there are also some who share thoughts too plain for the internet. In today’s world, I can share with you all how I climbed out of bed this morning and took a long hard look at myself in the mirror just to go on with the rest of my day, and that would be considered a podcast episode.

Whether it is just me or not, I do not think we all need to know how we wake up in the morning, or various routines for that matter. We couldn’t care less about your avocado toast and iced matcha. For now, give us something we can use. Many people like to talk about the inside of their jobs and living as a student, which I think is interesting. Topics like these can prepare and teach others the lives of people who work or attend a place they have always wanted to be a part of. 

When it comes to podcasts, I also like to learn new things or hear something out of the ordinary. That is why I find the podcast topics I mentioned above so interesting. They intrigue you, teach you about things you may not have known about, or let you in on the difficulties of handling stardom. These topics can also tell you different stories and different perspectives from people from all walks of life.

Overall, a lesson to learn from these podcasts is to be different, and interesting, but also modest. In many instances, we should not share too much or too little because everyone is listening, so to those of you who may be thinking of starting your own podcast, I advise you to consider your choices before making them. 

Elisha Nuñez is a staff reporter and can be reached at [email protected]