• Whataburger (61%, 19 Votes)
  • In-N-Out (39%, 12 Votes)

Total Voters: 31

The scariest time for unsafe candy

Amid+the+sweet+treats%2C+a+hazard+intake+could+be+waiting+in+the+candy+dispersed+on+Halloween.+
SalmaPaola Baca
Amid the sweet treats, a hazard intake could be waiting in the candy dispersed on Halloween.

While kids might love Halloween for its colorful costumes, impressive atmosphere and free candy, parents might think otherwise. While there has always been the fright of poisoned candy, the reality is there are other dangers that parents might now be aware of like accidental drug intake. 

Many parents check their kid’s candy for needles, poison, or tampering of candy as there have been cases where children were exposed to drugs posed as famous brands. There are even drugs that are known as edibles that use the image of popular candy and food brands to disguise the product.  

Though this is not to alarm parents, but rather to raise awareness among the public so parents and responsible guardians can properly inspect the much-anticipated Halloween candy for the safety of their children.  

While some parents might not stop their children from enjoying the festivities, others share their worries and opinions regarding the matter.  

“I sometimes double think whether I should take my children trick or treating.” said Esperanza L., mother of two children. “Either it be conflict with my job or leaving them with another family member for that day. You don’t know what the children might eat on the way before I get to check it. While I do take my precaution, I sometimes think that I should not expose them and just buy them the candy or do something at home.” 

On the other hand, other parents, who despite knowing the exposure, say they won’t stop letting their children enjoy the spooky holiday.  

“I know we have to take responsibility for what the children can eat and cannot, but I will not stop going to Halloween events with my kid.” said Mary Carrasco, mother of one. “I often look to see if a family friend will have a party for their kids during this holiday, a local library event, or even just a school party. I don’t think we should stop children from enjoying things. While we do have danger present, I know I must double check to be sure. But I want my kid to enjoy this part of their childhood.”  

Some parents around the country might think differently, but one thing for certain is there should be precautions when checking candy for kids. To make trick or treating safer, it’s recommended to have a responsible guardian with children as well as lit costumes like lights and other decorations to make the holiday tradition safer. It’s also good to stick to familiar areas and plan routes that are safe. Children should stay on sidewalks and have a buddy system, so no child gets lost.   

Apart from this, letting children know their address and other contact information is important and should be told not to trust strangers. While most parents choose outfits that keep their children warm, it’s sometimes best not to have masks on them as it could obstruct their vision or have someone mistake them for another child.  

While it’s not necessary to go trick or treating outside, there should always be the option of having indoor activities. Such as playing movies or throwing a small house party. 

At the end of the day, it’s the parents’ responsibility to check their children’s candy as well as keep them safe during the festivities. While the culture of trick or treating is different in each household, that doesn’t stop children from enjoying it each year and ensuring they are safe in the process

Katy Ruiz is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]