Women’s soccer defeats WKU in penultimate home game

Forward+Mina+Rodriguez+attempts+a+shot+during+a+match+against+WKU+Oct.+7.++
H. Catching Marginot
Forward Mina Rodriguez attempts a shot during a match against WKU Oct. 7.

The women’s soccer team welcomed Western Kentucky University (WKU), Oct. 7, on a chilly and windy Saturday night.  However, the energy and feel of the match was nothing but cold as the Miners (2-12-2, C-USA 1-3-1) defeated the Hilltoppers (3-3-7, C-USA 1-1-2) 1-0 in a fast-paced and gripping game. 

The game started quickly, with both sides being tested defensively. Goalkeeper Angelina Amparano contained an opening goal shot in the fifth minute from WKU forward Kayla Meyer. In the seventh and eighth minute, the UTEP defense cleared two corner kicks from WKU.

In the fourteenth minute, midfielder Olivia Roskos went for a right wide shot but did not make it. At the seventeenth and twenty-fifth minute, WKU contained UTEP’s corner kicks. In the thirty-third minute, Morales stripped WKU’s defense, making a goal to the bottom right past WKU goalkeeper Maddie Davis—Morales’ first goal as a college student. 

At the top of the half, WKU was quick with three attempted shots and a corner kick. However, the UTEP defense successfully defended the attacks.

In the fifty-fifth minute, both teams traded corners throughout. Throughout the second half, midfielder Sheyliene Patolo was close to the goal. From the seventy-fourth minute onward, the Miners held a tight defense.

In the late in the game, Morales had a breakaway but the attempt went wide. In the final minute, WKU tried one last time for a goal, but was unsuccessful. The win allowed UTEP to secure its first conference win.  

Midfielder Anissa Chairez kicks the ball during a match against WKU Oct. 7. (H. Catching Marginot)

UTEP soccer fan Richard Villarreal commented on his experience watching Miners soccer and this game’s outcome. 

“I’ve been following the game for the last eight years and the last three coaches,” Villarreal said. “There is still more improvement because he inherited the last two years’ worth, so they need to develop the players more.”  

Student Estabon Corral commented on the game and his experience seeing the Miners play. 

“It was my first soccer game; I think they did pretty well,” Corral said. “I think the girls pulled through foul after foul, but it was nice. I like their record, and I think they did pretty well.”  

Head Coach Gibbs Keeton spoke to Miner Athletic Club, detailing the excitement for this victory, even if it is late in the season, as well his hopes for the upcoming match against Middle Tennessee University. 

“We are showing attributes of a great team, even this late in the season,” Keeton said. “One of those things is for us to have trained so well all week at this time of the year. We aspire to use this game to have our first three points in conference and roll that into our first road win. This week of training will be important.” 

The Miners will head back on the road Thursday to take on Middle Tennessee before returning home next Sunday when the team welcomes Liberty to the Sun City. 

All statistics and quotes provided by UTEP Athletics.   

H. Catching Marginot is a staff reporter and can be reached at [email protected]